MCE Tech SSD's? Need More Space.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harleymhs, Jul 18, 2017.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Hey Guys, I need some advise.. I have a Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 13" .. Running out of HD space.. I tried TARDISK which was horrible ( slowed my Read and Write speeds to nothing after combining) I saw MCE technologies offers 512 and 1 TB SSD upgrades.. Has anyone tried these? Cost about $400.00 for a 512GB SSD and $800.00 for a 1 TB.. My other option is selling my Mid 2014 and just getting a NEW MBP now. My dislikes on the new MBP : No more Magsafe, USB C , and stiffer Keyboard.. Thanks..

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It just doesn't seem worth it to put that amount of money into a 3 year old laptop. I would look at selling and getting a 2015 second hand or refurbished in the SSD size you would like it will cost less than the upgrade.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

$800?
    Agree with Samuelsan above.

If you have $800 to toss at a 2014 MBPro, you might as well spend some more and get something new.

A question to ask yourself:
    How much of the stuff on the internal drive really has to be "on an internal drive"?

Could some of it be "offloaded" to an external drive?
    It's much cheaper to buy an external SSD around 500gb and keep the "less often-accessed" stuff there.

4. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks ... The 2 culprits are Iphoto Library & Itunes Library. I tried putting my itunes on a USB drive, seemed on, I got 42 GB now.. but I cant do a time machine back up now being its on a USB drive.. I tried also putting the iphoto on a USB made it too slow to use.. I can see your point about putting 400$ into a 2014 MPB .. Just really liked it and loved the Magsafe and ports!

5. jerryk macrumors 68040

If you can get by with an external drive look at a Samsung T3 SSD. Over a USB 3 port, they perform at around 450MB/sec, so close to your internal drive speed. They come in 250, 500, 1TB, and 2TB sizes.