McTube can't download anymore videos?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by digitalove, May 22, 2014.

1. digitalove macrumors regular

Hi there,

I've been using McTube for the past months and it's a great app. I used it to download video mostly.
    Since last week or so (did a clean install and lost all saved videos) I'm not able to download videos anymore somehow.
    Do you know why?
    Any alternative to McTube?
    Thanks

2. C0SM0, May 22, 2014
    Last edited: May 24, 2014

C0SM0 macrumors member

I've been using MxTube. It's basically the same as McTube used to be.

Update:

I just discovered that like McTube, MxTube will work as long as it remains installed. However, when you delete the app and reinstall it, the cache is gone too.

I'm not sure how it's possible, but the changes are being made without updating the app to a new version. To test this, I used Time Machine to retrieve an older version of McTube and installed it. The cache was still gone.

I guess the app developers are getting pressure from YouTube to remove the feature again.

3. digitalove thread starter macrumors regular

For some reason you can't download anymore videos with McTube. Are there others app that does the job? Sigh, I needed so much this feature, did a clean install of iOS and lost all my videos..

4. C0SM0 macrumors member

Ultratube will still download YouTube videos, and it can also search for videos from Vimeo and Daily Motion. It's not as easy to use as McTube, and doesn't have features like save to camera roll, but it will cache the videos. You can also sign in to your YouTube account and view subscriptions and playlists. However I can't find my Watch Later videos in the app.

So far it's really the only YouTube app that I've found that still allows caching videos.

I hope this helps :)

5. DoctorKrabs, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014

DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

Caching can be re-enabled with a plist file.

New installations of the app have it disabled by default.

You can download McTube fresh from the App Store, and download this plist file here:
    https://mega.co.nz/#!XFF2DRTR!GyE8nruK-S1x_UCVnMNYF9EwPMyyn6KOYRNfcni5_UA

Place this file into the Library/Preferences folder of the McTube app using iFunBox on Mac or PC.

And you shall have caching once again.

In the new 5.0 update, the cache button is invisible next to the gear button when watching a video, but it works. It's meant to be hidden.

It works for older versions of MxTube as well, but not the latest version (with a renamed plist).

Please reply to me about whether it works or not for you.

6. C0SM0, Aug 14, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2014

C0SM0 macrumors member

Wow this really does work. I just tried it out on McTube and it brought back the cache feature. The only thing I've noticed so far is that saving to the camera roll may not work without rebooting your device. Before a reboot, the save to camera roll menu option was there, but the videos didn't save. However, I decided to try rebooting my iPhone and then tried to save the video again...and it worked.

This is a great tip for those of us who deleted the app, or are installing it on a new device and want to be able to cache videos.

7. lyggo macrumors newbie

Doesn't work for me :/

8. jsullivan07 macrumors newbie

Please Help!

I just got an iPhone 5s, never had one before. I have tried everything to use MxTube and McTube. I'm not sure if I correctly download the plist but I think I did and still am not getting to cache button. My friend who always had iPhones told me she didn't know what else I could do if the newest version did not have the cache button. Suggestions? Please!

9. DoctorKrabs macrumors 6502a

DoctorKrabs

Make sure you delete the files in the Library folder before adding the new plist.

It should have a Cache tab on the bottom if it works, but you will see no cache button on video players. It's there, but invisible, and it still works.

10. AmLai, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

AmLai macrumors newbie

Thank you!

DoctorKrabs, you are a lifesaver. The fix worked beautifully. :cool::cool:

Now going forward, would you recommend no further updates from this version 5.0 or else the plist file might no longer work? And if I upload McTube on to other devices, will I have to copy over the plist file each time? Thanks for the help.

11. ory macrumors newbie

once i launch the app the old plist returns

and there's still no cache :(

got anything to do with the fact its ios 8?

12. C0SM0 macrumors member

Try rebooting your device. When I first used this on my iPhone 6, it didn't bring back the cache right away, but after a reboot it worked.

Hope this helps.

13. ory macrumors newbie

think is old plist file comes back

it doesn't stay with the new plist file i place...

14. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

15. maxsugar macrumors newbie

16. ory macrumors newbie

no one has the problem of plist overriden?

i changed the plist file and once i open the application the old plist comes back :(

what am i doing wrong?

17. 8pril macrumors member

Thanks so much! This worked for MxTube on my iPhone 6 Plus! I missed having the ability to cache.

18. Vonner12 macrumors newbie

Need Help....

I experienced that after i update MxTUBE SOME TIME AGO...right now im in the latest version ..and the download button is missing...

I followed the link above plist thing....i dont know much about these stuffs can you help me...i went to that link in Safari iPhone..then it to me to this Mega Webpage then i download it from App Store and the plist opened in Mega app and then it opened in iFile and there were 3 options...text view,property list viewer,vshare and i clicked proptty list and rebooted..no + button...or maybe mi doing it wrong.

19. Vonner12 macrumors newbie

Need Help please ....fast response...

Need Fast Response Please..

20. annaharris macrumors member

Your Mctube app has maybe got corrupted and that's the reason it's not downloading any videos. Uninstall the app and install it again. May be this will solve your problem.

21. Vonner12 macrumors newbie

Can you tell me the procedure again to get the download button back from scratch

Ok i removed everything ...now i deleted MxTube...now tell me step by step in details...Now reinstalled Mxtube

Thank You

22. manolic79 macrumors newbie

Downloads failing

I managed to get the cache button back in mxtube using the plist file provided above. But now every time i try download a video, it doesn't download. It sits in the selected folder with a status alternating between "queued" and "failed, tap to retry". Any ideas?

23. Zimmy68, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Zimmy68 macrumors 65816

Zimmy68

Do I need to delete the plist file that is already there? It is a different file name.

So far, this isn't working for me.
    When I connect my iPhone again, it shows both plists, even after I delete the original.

24. dinoman22 macrumors newbie

Working iPad mini 8.1

Grabbed the mega file
    Saved file to desktop
    Launched ifunbox
    Within if ifunbox explorer Went to mxtube folder , preference folder
    Deleted old plist file
    File>Copy from PC
    Selected the new plist file on desktop (mega link)

Safely ejected iPad
    Rebooted iPad
    Launch mxtube
    Go to gear icon
    Look for cache settings

Clicked + button
    Saved to videos
    Turned on airplane mode
    Videos are now cached and play offline