Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Bit of a difference in me protecting my online privacy and you thinking there is a banking cartel that "ownes" ALL of the money...

pretty sure if 20 years ago i mentioned the euro, you'd say the same thing (tin hat etc)

it's happening.. it doesn't matter if you believe it or not.. further, it's happening in plain sight. if you can't see it then same thing -- it doesn't matter if you can see it or not.. it's still happening.

Trundle

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
I wrote Rite-Aid expressing my displeasure, here is the reply I received:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Rite Aid currently does not accept any mobile payment including Apple Pay and Google Wallet. We do however hope to have this feature available in the future. We are continually evaluating various forms of mobile payment technologies, and are committed to offering convenient, reliable, and secure payment methods that meet the needs of our customers.

Elizabeth Carstetter
Rite Aid Corporate

Sounds like there might be hope!

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Rite Aid currently does not accept any mobile payment including Apple Pay and Google Wallet. We do however hope to have this feature available in the future. We are continually evaluating various forms of mobile payment technologies, and are committed to offering convenient, reliable, and secure payment methods that meet the needs of our customers.

Elizabeth Carstetter
Rite Aid Corporate

I think when they say that they "hope to have [mobile payment] available in the future", they mean CurrentC.

flaw600

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
What I still get is why doesn't Apple (and Google) simply remove CurrentC from the App Store?
When Bose (and the NFL) took aim at Beats products last month, Apple responded by removing Bose products from their online and retail stores.
I don't see this situation as all that different.

There's a very big difference between the two. Apple Stores aren't the only place to buy Bose headphones, while the App Store /is/ the only (official) place to buy the iOS version of CurrentC. Removing it from the App Store might be seen as being uncompetitive as well (see: removing PCalc and then putting it back). Also, doing so would set a very bad precedent. Apple, for all it's size, is very much dependent on developers and it acknowledges, and welcomes, this.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around

Elizabeth Carstetter
Rite Aid Corporate

Should have replied they had mobile payments already before.

flaw600

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
Come on. How do you think Apple is making money off of Apple pay? Normally, mobile payments cost a few percentage more than credit cards for merchants (thats why they don't like mobile payments). Now, whats happening is that banks are getting the normal rate for credit cards. Apple gets the rest that would make up for mobile payments. Merchants would pay the same rate for mobile payments which is higher than just using a credit card. Thats why they want their own mobile payment system. If Apple pay picks up, they lose money. Why would merchants want that? Do a little thinking.

You're so wrong, I'm amazed you haven't read the quite well-explained explanation here at MR. No. The merchants pay the card-present fee to the CC/bank. The CC/bank then pays a portion of that fee to Apple because Apple is helping lower fraud rates. The merchant does not pay the higher rate when Apple Pay is used - ever.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
pretty sure if 20 years ago i mentioned the euro, you'd say the same thing (tin hat etc)

it's happening.. it doesn't matter if you believe it or not.. further, it's happening in plain sight. if you can't see it then same thing -- it doesn't matter if you can see it or not.. it's still happening.

At least go one size larger on the hat and loosen off the chin strap a bit... :rolleyes

----------

Elizabeth Carstetter
Rite Aid Corporate

I left a couple of hundred dollars of stuff in a shopping cart at Lowes today, spoke to the manager and told him, no apple pay, no more shopping at lowes. Home Depot next door was happy to accept my apple pay purchase. I will certainly vote with my feet...

I am going to continuously make this point with merchants...

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
This keeps showing up in my Facebook timeline on my phone!

df919913729ad3975b021a909fd6c3f2.jpg

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I finally used it.... McDs and Staples. The lady at staples didn't think it would work, but was excited when it did.

I gotta say, it's fast and awesome and easy.

Now hurry up Disney and roll it out in the parks, then we can day trip into the parks card free!! Oh and USAA, but that is Friday, so all good there.

So basically, I'm happy with Apples variant of changing the status quo. NFC to the mainstream!

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012

Elizabeth Carstetter
Rite Aid Corporate

Write back and ask Elisabeth -- WHY does rite aid not currently accept any mobile payment when it clearly has the technical capability to do so.

I hate how people allow them to get away with corporate speak that says nothing. We know it's not accepted. That's the point.

brianadkins

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2007
I used Apple pay at Rite Aid yesterday for extra Halloween candy. I noticed that the little green LED on the NFC antenna was lit, so I tried it and it worked.

...for what it's worth, this was in Apex, NC.

Last edited:

tech3475

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
The case of the shops system going down, this could be easily solved by having an "offline" mode where the transactions are uploaded to the bank at the end of the day.

Any other issue would affect cash too - I had a restaurant and if there was no power you weren't taking any payments, cash or otherwise as the till didn't work! haha.

Depends on where the problem lies and even then I'm talking about things as they are, not theoretically possible (although given the way things currently work I wonder whether the card companies would like the idea e.g. security?).

Chances are if there was a power cut in a restaurant, they wouldn't be serving anyone anyway so it doesn't matter. I also wasn't talking about 'any other issue' but just scenarios where if cash wasn't an option it would have caused more problems.

It's like Netflix, I use it all the time but I always make sure to have some local stuff in case it isn't an option or there's more convenience for whatever reason e.g. bandwidth.

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
VISA alone lists more than 440 banks and credit unions which support ApplePay right now.

http://usa.visa.com/clients-partner...on/apple-pay/financial-institutions/index.jsp

I am replying to myself in the interest of integrity.

It looks like that link I posted was incorrect at that time.

At the time it listed those 400+ banks and credit unions as supported. I complained to my credit union and shared the link with them. Apparently my credit union contacted Visa and worked with Visa to correct the link.

Now the link is accurately reflecting that there is a "currently" and a "future" list, almost all of those 400 are now under the "future" tab - expected in early 2015 (based on what my credit union has stated - but they may be incorrect).

Sorry for reporting the bad info.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
I left a couple of hundred dollars of stuff in a shopping cart at Lowes today, spoke to the manager and told him, no apple pay, no more shopping at lowes. Home Depot next door was happy to accept my apple pay purchase. I will certainly vote with my feet...

I am going to continuously make this point with merchants...

There's no reason to believe you when ApplePay is so new. You filled up a shopping cart without bothering to see if they accept your month-old payment format? It sounds to me you're the one being unreasonable, or staging theatrics because you probably knew, but decided to make a fuss as a cathartic release for your absurd grudge. Filling up a shopping cart to deliberately give people grief sounds like a stage in psychosis.

The Menard's, Lowes & Home Depot in my area don't have any NFC-capable terminals.

Last edited:

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
There's no reason to believe you when ApplePay is so new. You filled up a shopping cart without bothering to see if they accept your month-old payment format? It sounds to me you're the one being unreasonable, or staging theatrics because you probably knew, but decided to make a fuss as a cathartic release for your absurd grudge. Filling up a shopping cart to deliberately give people grief sounds like a stage in psychosis.

The Menard's, Lowes & Home Depot in my area don't have any NFC-capable terminals.

I filled it up knowing they wouldn't take it. I made my point :D

Still went to Home Depot next door and bought the same items I needed using apple pay...

Honestly, I could care less what you think ;)

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006

Still went to Home Depot next door and bought the same items I needed using apple pay...

You could, but you didn't.

I'm just saying they have no reason to believe your shopping cart means anything. Any lunatic can fill a cart.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003

EVERY Home Depot does now, as far as I know. The only indication is on-screen. When they total the purchase, the contactless symbol will appear and "slide card" (or insert or slide card if EMV enabled) will change to "slide or tap card" (or insert, slide or tap card).

valkraider

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2004
EVERY Home Depot does now, as far as I know. The only indication is on-screen. When they total the purchase, the contactless symbol will appear and "slide card" (or insert or slide card if EMV enabled) will change to "slide or tap card" (or insert, slide or tap card).

Our Home Depot does not yet. I have tried repeatedly since Apple Pay debuted.

saoir

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2007
Dublin

And you are right not to. They will have paid a lot of attention to your action don't worry. But you should write a letter too.

JeffDM

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2006
Really? Are you sure?

These are the terminals:
http://ingenico.us/terminals/isc250/

You MUST wait until they hit credit to tap, you can do it on the self-checkout too, after you hit credit.

I've seen that. I don't have an NFC phone, so it didn't matter, but I have been keeping an eye out for the NFC logo. I did not see the logo anywhere on the enclosure or on the screen at any time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.