Oct 3, 2012
i replace new bios chip for md313 to reset EFi password
now i need to programing new chip
but it need chip data raw from other md313
some body can help me ?:(
or clone me chip data raw

Nov 28, 2010
located
You have the capacity to replace a soldered chip on an i5 MacBook Pro to reset an EFI password (Macs don't have a BIOS) but not the actual data? And how can we copy data off some chip?
And why couldn't Apple help you reset the password, since the Mac is probably still inside the one-year warranty?
It sounds fishy.

Comment

sasanam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2012
You have the capacity to replace a soldered chip on an i5 MacBook Pro to reset an EFI password (Macs don't have a BIOS) but not the actual data? And how can we copy data off some chip?
And why couldn't Apple help you reset the password, since the Mac is probably still inside the one-year warranty?
It sounds fishy.
1-all laptops have a bios chip INCLUDING THE NEW MACS. The only difference is that apple uses a NEWER BIOS CALLED EFI . If you ask any apple tech they will tell you that macs do not have a BIOS. Thats a bunch of crap!!! All computers need a chip to give out instructions when you press the power button. This chip on macs is manufactured by a company called Atmel and it is visible when you take off the bottom cover of your mac. Atmel chips have been around for years

2- i cant use apple warranty becoz no applestore in my country

3- it need special equipment to clone chip data raw

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
EFI is not BIOS. EFI is firmware. BIOS is a simple form of firmware as well. BIOS stands for Basic In Out System. EFI is not basic at all and is rather extensible and powerful. Macs do not have any form of BIOS. The closest thing they have is a BIOS emulation layer that runs on top of EFI.

Comment

dmccloud

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
1-all laptops have a bios chip INCLUDING THE NEW MACS. The only difference is that apple uses a NEWER BIOS CALLED EFI . If you ask any apple tech they will tell you that macs do not have a BIOS. Thats a bunch of crap!!! All computers need a chip to give out instructions when you press the power button. This chip on macs is manufactured by a company called Atmel and it is visible when you take off the bottom cover of your mac. Atmel chips have been around for years

2- i cant use apple warranty becoz no applestore in my country

3- it need special equipment to clone chip data raw
EFI is not a "newer BIOS". BIOS literally contains just the basic things needed to boot up a computer, whereas EFI is more complex and capable of many additional functions beyond what a BIOS can provide.

Either way, this does sound fishy...

Comment

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
There is a good chance that the chip needs to be programmed before it is soldered into the logic board. Do you have the programmer needed to do this?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.