MDD 1.42 Ghz

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Tyroler, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Tyroler macrumors member

Tyroler

Got a MDD 1.42 Ghz a min ago (Seems everyone sells at moment his 1.42 ghz modell)
    power Unit failed.The Lady gave them away as she just got a month ago a new (?) power Unit.
    I have 2 power Units here which works fine on the 1.25 Ghz but i may try re-seating CPU,and checking them with a Magnifying Glas as for o Reason does not one power unit after the other fail in few Weeks.
    If CPU is OK and i may just swap them over to the 1.25 ghz as anywhy both have 167 ghz Bus
    Thats my Thinking.
    Any Advise?

Thanx for reading

2. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Any working MDD PSU can be swapped to any other MDD regardless of clock speed. If you go the other route and swap the CPU, don't forget the thermal compound.

3. Tyroler, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

Tyroler thread starter macrumors member

Tyroler

Thanx,yes,..The Thermal ....
    Just thinking.On the G5 you unplug the Power Unit from logic board and short-circuit the Green Cable with any Black,and if the fan of it spins its OK
    How do i test it on a MDD
    Any advice for that?

well,removed CPU,cleaned,checked with Magnifying Glass,but some new Creme on and also reseated Ram and Pci cards
    Not doing anything
    When push start Button the light on the Button comes on but nothin else,and when i release the Button thev light is off.
    Have a 1.25 ghz which runs well,but doesnt connect to internet.Connect by Cable as no airport card.Will swap Logicboard.
    How long will i need?
    Lets see :)

Now i swapped Logic Board and CPU over
    1 small problem as 1.25 has no Firewire 800 port,but i just tested it.
    Its same.I push Button and light is for a moment and after 2 minute or so comes the Fan on and goes straight in hurricane mode.

just thinking for what i need firewire 800. Best is i use the 1.25 ghz logicboard and 1.42 ghz CU.
    and,if that doesnt works then i still have the cooper heatsink which is the £30.- worth

Any idea what else i could try?
    thanx

4. Tyroler thread starter macrumors member

Tyroler

OK,checked Caps on power Unit and they look good.Also Fuse is good.
    What i noticed was that on both Mac the Screws of headsink were not tight.
    Sink they may need re-torching after it run a While as the Creme settles and not full contact between CPU and H-Sink could give Temperature problem.

5. ThunderSnake, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012

ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/D275729F-09DA-4FBB-96B3-BEEEB2C04619.html

You'll need a multi-meter. Follow instructions carefully and note that this test is done with the PSU connector attached to the motherboard. Also note the orientation. The clip is on the right and the only purple wire should be in the bottom left corner as you're looking down on it. You have to test everything. It does not follow that everything works just because one thing works.

Really, though, since you have multiple machines, the best test is simply to try the PSU in a known working computer. If the problem follows the PSU, then the problem IS the PSU.

This means nothing. Very often, a faulty capacitor will look just fine.
    Why? On a computer that has been in use? That's not good. You've probably fried that CPU if it has been in use. Install it correctly and try it again, but be careful about torquing those screws. In fact, pull all of the screws back out first. Note that one of those four screws is shorter than the rest. That one goes above the USB ports and is *just* as long as it needs to be without causing damage to the motherboard USB connector.

Edit: Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have a friend who might know her/his way around Apple hardware a little better than you do? This might be a good time to ask for help locally.

6. Tyroler thread starter macrumors member

Tyroler

OK,changed Power Unit and also replaced CPU with 1.25 ghz Cpu card,put 4 Hard Drive with 120 Gb and RPM 7200 in.have a CPU-Reader Software bought few Month ago which shows me 53 centigrates which gives me the Idea that a Cooper heatsink is his Money worth,if you invest in it.