MDD 1.42 PSU dead?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by wooddorf, Oct 27, 2009.

1. wooddorf macrumors member

Well I'm not really sure what is wrong with this power mac I bought it has no CPU so I bought one which hasn't arrived yet. If I try to power on the unit without the CPU wouldn't the fans at least start up? I've read that it could be the pram battery. Any advice for me installing the CPU with some arctic silver 5 thermal compound? I've never installed a processor before... But if it is the PSU I'd like to know because I can get one cheap from the same place I bought the CPU. Many thanks in advance.

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

The Mac won't boot up period if there is no CPU installed.

Wait till you get your CPU in first to see if your PSU is dead. The MDD PSUs still seem to be quite expensive, usually around $100+.

3. wooddorf thread starter macrumors member

Currently I have tried re-seating the CPU, replacing pram battery, and testing the ram. and I get no lights or bong or fans or anything it is a dead computer. What would the next best guess? PSU or Logic board?

UPDATE: Currently I have tried re-seating the CPU, replacing pram battery, and testing the ram. and I get no lights or bong or fans or anything it is a dead computer. What would the next best guess? PSU or Logic board?

4. wooddorf thread starter macrumors member

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

It is your PSU. Just find an ATX power supply unit and then modify it for the MDD. You will save yourself $100+. Search this site or google for ATX MDD power supply.

Unless you want to pay $100-$200+ for a new or more than likely refurbished MDD PSU.