MDD Boot Mystery

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MatthewLTL, Feb 22, 2015.

1. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

So I was having a problem closing the door on the MDD it sounded like a fan was catching. Come to find out the fan I put on the GPU was no good and one of the blades snapped off causing extremely loud noice. It also managed to loosen the Heatsink from the card. To fix this i removed the fan and the heatsink, scraped off all the old (Yellow?) thermal paste and applied new. Put the heatsink back on, connected a NEW fan to the heatsink, provided power to the fan than booted it up. It booted fine than locked up.

I turned it off and back on now it refuses to boot. It will show the APPLE logo than the spinner will show up than the apple logo changes to a "NO" Symbol. I have tried multible things I did the ALT boot option i pressed the reset button nothing. What is going on?

P.S. Before replacing the fan, I would switch the power strip on and within 5 seconds of turning on the power strip, the MDD would just turn itself on. This seems to have stopped with the PMU Reset but what the hell is going on here?

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

You probably had "Start up automatically after a power failure" checked in System Preferences > Energy Saver. It's a handy feature for servers.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The prohibitory sign means that the Mac has found a boot drive, but the boot sequence is corrupted. You can't boot from that drive.

Boot from your install disk and repair the disk. Failing that, try DiskWarrior. If neither works you may be in for an Archive and Install.

4. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

It may be too far gone to save, but you might try booting in single user mode(command+S at startup) and then type /sbin/fscky -fy when the command prompt appears. If you get message reading "FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED" at the completion of fsck, run it again. Keep running fsck until it no longer reports "File system was modified."

Of course, if it won't boot to single user mode, do as said above with the install disk.

5. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Will it do that even after a proper shutdown?

----------

The HDD from my eMac before its upgrade is still bootable in the PowerMac should I try booting that or would it be corrupted too?

----------

Thanks, I'll try that later on either before or after work.

6. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Do you have a picture of the broken fan? :O

7. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I can take one when i find my cameraphone (or get my camcorder out of my car door)

8. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Well the problem got stranger, I booted up with the old eMac HDD and it booted fine however the HDDs on the ATA100 bus weren't detected. So I booted the Tiger install DVD and the same thing... absent HDDs however holding down the ALT key the boot menu DOES show the boot drive on the ATA100 bus. So what's this mean?

9. MatthewLTL thread starter macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

Well being the Computer Tech savvy that I am I decided I would 1st try to replace the IDE cable for the ATA100 bus. Still same thing. So I decided I would plug the cable into the ATA66 Bus. WORKS PERFECT my OS X install for the MDD booted clean up. No issues at all. The problems appears to be with the ATA100 Bus. Now, What should I look for?