MDD-Can't get hard drive carrier out

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Possumgal, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Possumgal macrumors member

Possumgal

I'm trying to put a second hard drive in an MDD dual 1.25. The manual says to pull the plastic clip loose, push up the carrier slightly, then slide it out. I can get the clip loose, but the rest won't budge. I'm sure it never was removed before. Got any tips or should I just give up and put the second drive in the carrier with the slower bus speed? I'm sure I can get that one out.

2. Mnowell69 macrumors regular

Mnowell69

i seem to remember a screw also holding it in place.

3. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Yes, the screw is likely still there. Look carefully inside your PowerMac, at the top edge of the drive carrier.
    You'll see either the screw that you need to remove, or just a hole (the screw may be missing, which is not a problem)
    Then simply push the carrier up, and pull it out.

4. Possumgal thread starter macrumors member

Possumgal

Funny, I have the original manual for the computer, and it didn't mention the screw. Oops on them. I'll take a look next time I have time to tinker with it. That would certainly make a difference, thanks!

5. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

It's there...
    From Apple's service manual for the Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) Power Mac G4 (FW 800) :

Procedure
    1. Using a Phillips screwdriver, remove the screw that attaches the carrier to the chassis. Note: On some production models, the screw is not present nor required.

2. Pull the left side lever forward, and slide the carrier up to release the mounting pegs on the back of the carrier from the chassis.
    But, if the carrier has never moved in 12 or 13 years, then it could take a little more "persuasion" to get it to move :D

6. Possumgal thread starter macrumors member

Possumgal

I got the carrier out, no problem once I got the screw out. Thanks for the help.