MDD Dual 1.25 - Kernel Panics

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WGoins88, Nov 1, 2011.

1. WGoins88 macrumors regular

Hey guys.... haven't had this problem until now. My MDD gave me a kernel panic today. The bad thing is now it doesn't want to start up. It panics at the Apple logo now. All the memory is known to work in this computer. I tried to boot the Apple hardware Test CD, and got this at the open firmware

Invalid Memory access at %SRR0: 00769104 %SRR1: 00003030

2. goMac macrumors 603

It sounds like you may want to re-evaluate if all your memory is still good.

3. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm on it right now... so far so good. But if I try to boot into the AHT disc, it gives me the invalid memory access error.

I'm gonna try a disk permissions verification again and see if I can get it to KP. If so I'll report back with the log.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Don't bother. Repairing permissions help only for file(s) permission(s) problem. It has nothing to do with KPs.
    Test every stick of RAM separately (try to boot AHT, check with Memtest/Rember etc.)

5. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

No no... I mean the last time it KP'ed is when I was repairing disk permissions. I did it again and it didn't do it. So far, it's been up since 7pm last night, and hasn't done anything weird. And in that time I've surfed the web, watched Youtube, listened to music, watched 2 DVDs, deleted unneeded files, and ran Geekbench.

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

In my experiences KP's are memory related 8/10 times. If not that then possibly a corrupt hard drive or any given electronic part. Any KP's I ever had when I owned 2x MDD were memory related.

7. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Dying HDD can produce KPs, especially if sectors containing system files are corrupted. But in OP's case inability to run AHT and OF error code points rather to RAM than HDD issue.

8. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I agree with 6, KP's most of the time were caused by bad RAM. Try to clean and reseat your RAM.

9. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I couldn't get AHT to load, so I pulled the memory and put it in my PC.

Kept giving me BSODs on bootup so I had to use my laptop to download and burn Memtest to a CD to test them in the PC. Sure enough..... both failed totally. When I pulled them out, the one had 2 of the contacts falling off, and the other wasn't working right at all, even by itself. Luckily they are Corsair modules and are getting replaced under warranty. :cool:

10. WGoins88 thread starter macrumors regular

Update on this! Corsair emailed me, and both modules were bad. The one obviously because of the missing contacts, and the second one failed a write test numerous times. They are sending me replacements and they should be here sometime this week.