MDD Help...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by OrangeSVTguy, Oct 29, 2007.

1. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

well i got 2 MDD's (1.25ghz DP and 1.25 Single processor) i've been trying to get at at least one of these to work but i just can't seem to figure it out. they both do the same thing and only thing i can think of is is that the ram isn't compatable. they both start up and seem to run (no chime) and after about 10-15 seconds the fans go max speed? this happens with or without the ram installed so i think it might be tied to this? i've tried both pc2100 and pc2700 and neither seems to work. i sure hope it's not the processor or motherboard :(. i've searched but couldn't really find anything that could help. if anyone knows anything that could help. thanks.

2. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

can you boot off a Mac OS disc? If so, it might be another issue.

Sounds to me like the Firmware might need updated, but i could be wrong. What is currently the OS you are running on both of these machines?

3. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

it's a 80gb with OSX 10.4.1 tiger. and i don't have any disks. i also heard about a recall on the MDD psu? could that be an issue?

4. newtech macrumors 6502

Have you tried booting to target disk mode or open firmware?

Any beeps/power button flashes?

5. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

Here are a couple of things that i used to have to do, to my old MDD, which you could give a try:

1. I would try to reset the PMU.

2. Reset the PRAM/NVRAM

3. Power down the tower. Unplug all cables the tower, and Open the case. Discharge any static electricity from yourself, by touching the metal case [frame of the inside of the tower]. Then carefully take the battery out of its holder. Hold the CUDA button, for 5 seconds [to drain any power that may still be in the motherboard] DO NOT, hit the CUDA more than once, as i have read that it could crash the PMU. If you need to hit it more than once, wait 15-30 seconds between hit.

Then press the power button once, while the tower is still unplugged. Finally, plug the battery back in [make sure the positive and negative are on the correct sides -- it should be labeled on the motherboard]. Reconnect the power cable, and other cables. Now, try to boot up.

If this works, you should be ok.

6. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

thanks for your help
    i tried switching the processor boards around to see if it's a motherboard or processor problem but it still does the same thing. fans turn on then after 10 seconds they both go on full speed. the red led comes on by the memory slots.

7. OrangeSVTguy thread starter macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

thanks for all your help as well but i've tried all that and still nothing no beeps or chimes :( i also tried booting into open firmware by holding down cmd opt O and F and that doesnt do anything either. i might just give up and just sell all the parts on ebay.

i think i will just transplat my sawtooth guts into one of my mdd:D as that's the only mac i have working right now. too bad it's only a dp 500mhz