MDD power supply G5 tower power supply?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by havokalien, Aug 10, 2012.

1. havokalien macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Well I'm a collector, I have this MDD that the power supply died, of course. I have 2 G5 2.0 duals so in essence I have an extra. Since the G5 supported ADC and it is slim like the MDD and has fans could I splice the G4 wires into the G5 power supply and use it? I searched th web and the forums and have not seen anyone try it. Before you beat me up about killing a G5 that works, if someone lived close enough to trade me macs for it I would, but no one seems to want to trade apple stuff, I have been trying.

2. Zeke D, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

3. havokalien thread starter macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Seen that

That doesn't get me the info I need. No info on the G5 power supply. I figured that since the G5 had 2 fans and was slim like the MDD that the wires may just swap over, but that link again doesn't show the G5 pin out or if the fan speed control for the power supply is compatible.

Thanks for the link though.

4. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

The link shows the MDD, I was waiting for your reply on weather you had an iMac or a powermac to post a link for the G5 PSU.

5. havokalien thread starter macrumors 6502a

havokalien

Original post

In my first post I said a G5 dual 2.0 tower, I am pretty sure there were no iMac with those specs and I did say tower lol. Not being rude its just kind of funny you have to admit. Thank you for clarifying.

6. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Here is the pinout for the pm: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=105113

You would probably have better luck with an atx supply if you are not using ADP.

7. MaxHeap macrumors member

MaxHeap

Go to badcaps.net. There should be a thread on repairing your PSU. I used it and I have a perfectly working MDD FW800 now. Before I fixed it, I made a ATX adapter, but I missed it not being able to power a ADC monitor. Not as hard as it sounds at all.

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep