MDD power supply noise

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by DZ/015, Feb 15, 2013.

1. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Having acquired a typical MDD, I decided to try and quiet the thing. I replaced all of the fans with quieter ones, but still could not take the noise. After unplugging the fans one by one, I found the 2 fans on the power supply were making most of the noise.

I looked at an atx solution, but these do not fit without some modification to the mounting. My solution, I bought a micro atx and mounted it in the original power supply enclosure. It was not very difficult, and dropped the noise significantly. It is much quieter.

Has anyone else done this?

2. archtopshop macrumors regular

I have thought of doing this, but have never found a suitable micro atx power supply. Which power supply did you use? I have an MDD right now I would like to do this on. Also, could you post a photo of the installed power supply?

3. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

4. archtopshop macrumors regular

Yes, that's a good suggestion. I already replaced the fans on a noisy 400 watt power supply in one of my MDD's. But now, that same power supply is showing signs of failing completely, so I am planning to replace it.

I would like to find a an ATX power supply that I could install in the MDD's PS original position. I plan to purchase an adapter cable from ATXG4.com, if the fellow that makes them there is still selling them. I haven't emailed him, yet. Otherwise, I'll make the adapter myself, using the instructions he posted on his website.

5. DZ/015 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I used an FSP 400w unit. Removed it from the case and mounted the fan off to the side. I'm working this weekend, but will be able to get some pics up in a day or two.

I did. They were still bothering me. Something about those 2 small fans was just too loud for me. Now there is a single 80mm fan that is much quieter.

6. archtopshop macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the photos.

When I followed your link and looked at the power supply you purchased, I realized I misread your first post. I have been looking for a "mini itx" power supply to replace my MDD power supply, not a micro-atx.

7. DZ/015 thread starter macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

pics

01 - Here is an end view showing the original vents taped shut with aluminum tape.

02 - Close up of power supply. Had to bend the heat sink on the right to clear the cover. If I had mounted the pcb 1/2 inch to the left, this could have been avoided.

03 - Here you can see that the original power connector was used. I cut out the power switch and spliced the power supply to the connector.

04 - Mounted view showing the fan and mounting posts for the power supply. I went cheap and just drilled out a hole for the fan. Does not look good, but it works.

Attached Files:

• 01.JPG
      01.JPG
      File size:
      2.8 MB
      Views:
    • 02.JPG
      02.JPG
      File size:
      2.8 MB
      Views:
    • 03.JPG
      03.JPG
      File size:
      3 MB
      Views:
    • 04.JPG
      04.JPG
      File size:
      2.7 MB
      Views:
  8. archtopshop macrumors regular

I've seen something similar done on G5 hackintosh case mods, but never on an MDD. Thanks for posting the photos.

9. seveej, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013

seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Been there, done that.

It does have a noticeable affect, but the problem is that any 60 mm fan (even more so if there's two) will be quite noisy (especially considering the produced airflow) compared to a larger fan.

Also, for people suffering the noise of their MDD's it might be useful to know, that often a part of the problem is that the fans rattle against the casing, and can be helped by adding a minimal layer of padding (I used a wool thread with plastic tape over it as a buffer).

All in all, the construction of the MDD's original PSU's seem to be a clusterf***. I took some temperature readings of some of the components and they were quite high. The airflow (dismal as it is thanks to the low CFM of the dual small fans) is massively obstructed by the arrangement of components. Sadly the internal componentry does not allow for a decent fan modification. Therefore any links to PSU mods in MDD's are highly appreciated.

RGDS,

P.S. If you're really into hard core modding, there's a beautiful three part guide on Utube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEzbl3eJIro