MDD SATA boot excruciatingly slow

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Daniël Oosterhuis, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

I've installed the flashed SIL3112 card in my PowerMac G4 MDD, along with a WD Green 1TB drive. I've been able to install Tiger fine, but I notice that booting takes an excruciatingly long time. Specifically, the grey Apple screen just sits there for quite a while, then it finally starts spinning the wheel. After this, everything goes quick and snappy, but that long wait time doesn't seem normal. Anyone got experience with this? Am I supposed to put up with it, or have I forgotten something?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Have you tried resetting the PRAM? This often does the trick with new hardware additions and long EFI post.

3. Daniël Oosterhuis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Doing the PRAM reset resulted in the folder icon, now it can't find the OS anymore... oops.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 24, 2016 ---
    Never mind, rebooted it once via Start Up disk off of an OSX disc, now it works fine again. Booting is a bit faster, but not much. Oh well, it works.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What's happening is the Mac is scanning the bus for drives. Looking for a SATA drive is the LAST place it looks, after the IDE bus.

That takes a little bit of time.

5. Daniël Oosterhuis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Hmmm, oddly enough, it seems not to wake from sleep. The Studio display remains off. Is this due to the SIL3112 card/SATA drive?

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It might be. I believe I had that problem as well. Probably still do. But because it would not wake I long ago just set my G4 to run at full power and just turn the screens off so I wouldn't know if I still have this issue or not any more.

Sounds right though.

7. for this macrumors regular

In Tiger, my MDD will hang upon sleep if I don't disconnect my Bluetooth keyboard first.
    The USB Bluetooth stick is not fully supported though, may be that's why.
    Leopard doesn't have this issue.

I've used flashed 3112 and 3512 with it, no sleep problem.