MDD Weak Front Speaker

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MaxHeap, May 17, 2012.

1. MaxHeap macrumors member

MaxHeap

My MDD front speaker is very weak. It appears to be in good shape. Is this common and is there anyway to repair instead of replacing it?

2. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

you mean weak as in quiet?

because my MDD's speaker is super loud and sounds awesome...

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Check that the speaker is properly connected to the logic board. Also see if it is physically damaged on the speaker itself. They are very fragile like the eMac speakers. It could be ripped at one of the seams and very hard to see.

4. MaxHeap thread starter macrumors member

MaxHeap

The speaker itself appears to be in good condition. Its almost like the magnet is stuck and can't vibrate properly. Just wondering if anyone had an issue like this on any other G4 and what you did to fix it (other than just getting a new speaker).

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

It may sound stupid, but reset PRAM first, then check again ;)
    Inspect speaker cable too.

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I don't have a MDD, but the seller I purchased my iMac G4 from seemed to have multiple units with broken internal speakers. I thought that was kind of weird. Hopefully, if you have to replace it, it won't be terribly expensive or hard to do.

Just noticed this post is from a couple days ago - OP did you figure anything out?

7. samsonlonghair macrumors newbie

Ditch it!

Ditch the built-in mono speaker on your G4 powermac for a much better option. Utilize the Apple Pro Speaker minijack on the back of your G4 powermac. Apple Pro speakers have Harmon Kardon drivers, so they sound great despite their diminutive size. Like so many other apple products, these are absolutely beautiful.
    [​IMG]
    What great industrial design!

Apple Pro Speakers were bundled with G4 imacs, so they're cheap and readily available on the second hand market. Expect to pay about fifteen bucks for a used pair of these.

8. MaxHeap thread starter macrumors member

MaxHeap

Actually the PRAM reset appears to have made the speaker quieter? I just repaired the PSU in it, so I was looking for the computer to work 100% (plus my Quicksilver internal speaker is so loud), but it's not a big deal. I've actually been looking for a good set of pro speakers. Most people want too much for them or they are in very bad shape.

9. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

I've seen them on Craigslist and eBay for about $30. Tempted to buy them but figured I should get a G4 first.

10. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

A $50 pair of Logitech speakers will blow away the built in G4 tower speakers (and I mean when they're working fine.) I'm of the frame of mind that if it's worth listening to, it's going to be ruined by a horribly weak speaker.