mDNS(aka bonjour), sysadmins dream or nightmare?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by foidulus, Sep 18, 2009.

1. foidulus macrumors 6502a

After suffering through massive amounts of bonjour headaches at work(namely problems with a file server that shares out files via both NFS and Samba, we tell the macs to mount the NFS, and they do, but Finder insists on trying to connect to the Samba instead of the NFS), we finally disabled bonjour on all of our macs at work, it just caused too many problems.

However, I'm sure there are benefits and was wondering what other sys admins think of Bonjour. Love hate or indifference?

2. ewoh24 macrumors regular

Bonjour was never an issue for us until Leopard and the way it browses our Network. In Tiger there was no constant bombardment of the network, it just went out after you clicked on "Network". In Leopard, in the sidebar it is constantly there trying to discover. That, to me, is annoying. We also have switches that do not support mDNS so I've had to create a VLAN on the switches that do. And it does also not skip subnets well at all.

All in all Bonjour is a consumer level service that holds little to no benefit in a corporate mixed environment