MDNS running at 99%, HELP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by porterusaf, Apr 18, 2010.

1. porterusaf macrumors member

My computer is running at 99% according to iStat due to a process called MDNS. According to Activity Monitor and "top" there is no such process running at 99%. I've tried killed MDNS_Responder and anything with MDNS in it's name via Activity Monitor and restarting the Macbook, doesn't fix anything. I've also removed any applications recently installed, doesn't work either.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

I highly doubt it's an exploit or virus, I'm very careful about what I download.

[​IMG]

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's no virus, as there are no viruses for Mac OS X.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3789

It's a background process, maybe try to delete the preference file, which is talked about and see if that helps. Make a copy though, if it frells up your system, you still have a backup.

What kind of network setup do you have, can you get into detail with that?

Does your system feel slow?

Maybe iStat has just a hiccup...

3. porterusaf thread starter macrumors member

The network doesn't matter, the process runs no matter what network I'm attached to. Yes it's very noticeable... It seems like my hard drive is constantly reading & writing as well, I can feel it (laptop). I'll try that with the preference and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The network does matter, as it is a DNS service, and the DNS is responsible for resolving web addresses like www.macrumors.com into the correct IP, which is what is necessary to travel the world wild wet.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Ever have shorting problems due to dampness after surfing? :D

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Nah, I just use a pimped up humidifier, an actual home improvement which didn't explode yet.

We'll see how far it can go. Right now I'm at level 7 (out of 69).

7. porterusaf thread starter macrumors member

Haha, no I understand what DNS does, I just meant it doesn't matter which network I'm attached to. The process is always going crazy.

The only thing I can possibly think of that I installed that might cause any DNS problems would be a Server for an Iphone Print App. I already deleted the app (just drug it to trash can), but maybe it messed with the DNS tables... But I already flushed the DNS cache, so I'm not to sure what else it could be.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I see, did deleting the preference file help?

Since when does the problem occur and is it all the time?

Does a restart help things or repairing permissions?

Any of those nice resets, like SMC or PRAM?

9. porterusaf thread starter macrumors member

That link you gave me doesn't delete the preferences file... how do you do that?

I dont know what SMC or PRAM resets do either?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The preferences should be located at Users / YOU / Library / Preferences.

I have a look. - Didn't find it. Has an MRoogle or Google search brought up anything?

SMC and PRAM reset guides can be found via a search engine plus the Mac model you have.

11. porterusaf thread starter macrumors member

So what do you recommend I delete in my preferences? I thought you were speaking a bit more specific... maybe a DNS file? Deleting all of that folders contents seems dangerous haha...

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I thought there was a MDNS preference file, but I can't find it.

And deleting all those preferences would just do that, delete all the preferences you have set for various applications and services you use on Mac OS X.

Thus I recommended repairing permissions and SMC and PRAM reset, but as that depends on the machine you have, look via a search engine for yourself and you will find the appropriate Apple Support (Knowledge Base) document.

(example: iMac Intel SMC reset or Mac Mini PRAM reset)

You also haven't answered some of my questions yet, which might trigger some answers by other users who have experienced it before.

13. porterusaf thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, thought I did.

Problem occurs constantly. Been programming for the last 3 hours and the CPU usage hasn't been below 95% for a second.

A restart doesn't fix anything, problem starts back up as soon as I login.

Is there anymore questions I didn't answer?

And yeah, that's why I'm scared of deleting that entire folder's content. I may try replacing it from my backups, but that scares me as well.

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I think that was it.

But I will go to bed now, the birds are waking up here, so I have to fly with them in my dreams now. Stupid OCD...

15. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

16. porterusaf thread starter macrumors member

Not quite the same issue, but thanks... Even though your an Aggie fan...

Hook 'em!