MDP Audio & Monoprice MDP to HDMI adapter Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chupa Chupa, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I just tried using my Monoprice mini displayport to HDMI adapter with my 2010 MBP connected to my TV. Audio did not work.

So I'm wondering if I'm missing a setup step on my MBP or if maybe the monoprice adapter is out of date (according to Apple only adapters with VESA 1.1 or higher are compatible w/ the 2010 MBPs audio out feature and I bought the adapter a year ago).

I did go to the audio pref pane but did not see any output option for MDP -- only internal, and soundflower (used by Audio Hijack).

Has anyone had any luck with the monoprice adapter and if so when did you buy it? (Wondering if maybe the current model has 1.1).

2. paintballswimgu macrumors 6502

did you go into the MIDI settings, search MIDI in the spotlight. I know thats what i have to do to enable optical output on my 07 mbp

3. jhawk31 macrumors newbie

MDP to HDMI

I ordered the Griffin Mini DisplayPort to HDMI & DVI cable and hooked my new MBP up to the TV this morning to stream a church service. I had to go to System Preferences ---> Sound ---> then change the Output setting. Forget which setting I selected but it appeared when I connected the cable. It worked great. The Griffin cable was a little more expensive than others (Monoprice) but its a really nice cable and gives an option for HDMI or DVI.

4. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

I've had that happen before. Make sure you turn up the sound on USB sound device in sound settings in system preferences (I think default is no volume). Also, if you already have a video player or whatever open, close and open it again. Should fix the problem for you.

You have this right:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5969&seq=1&format=2

Works great with the new MBP's. I tried it out two nights ago watching Entourage on my 32" Samsung :D

also, i would try movist if I were you. full screen on the tv still doesn't make your screen unusable and blacked out unlike VLC.

5. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

I think you are missing the point here. There was an article stating that the 2010 MBP's now support sound output through the mDP port. This is what people are trying to accomplish. The adapter you pointed to relies on USB for sound and is limited to 2 channels.

I have been really looking forward to the new audio support in the mDP connector as I intend to purchase a 13" MBP this week. I have yet to see anyone confirm it as working with a monoprice adapter though, which worries me. However seeing that jhawk31 has it working makes me feel much better. I don't like that griffin is 4x the price of the monoprice one, but it's sleek which is nice. Perhaps monoprice needs to update their adapters?

jhawk31, is this what your using?

6. jhawk31 macrumors newbie

yes, that's the one. works great.

I didn't really care for the price either, but it seems like a solid adapter and looks really nice too.

7. breathesrain macrumors regular

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2

The standard monoprice mini Displayport to HDMI adapter says:

I'm guessing that's what the OP is using...it doesn't seem like there are any hardware limitations on the adapter itself, so this should be a settings/software issue...

8. Chupa Chupa thread starter macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I emailed Monoprice and they confirmed their MDP to HDMI adapter (this one) is not VESA 1.1 compatible and will only out put video. So I guess right now the Griffin adapter jhawk 31 mentioned is the only solution right now.

Bummer b/c I like cheap adapters. I guess I'll fork over for the Griffin since Monoprice didn't hint of a VESA 1.1 updated adapter coming.

9. Macbook Newbie macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased a Monoprice mdp to hdmi cable. At the time their website lacked info about audio. FYI it does not carry audio even when using it with the new MacBook Pros. I learned the hard way by buying it and was very disappointed. I contacted monoprice and they confirmed that the cable does not carry audio. They gave me whole "we're working on one that does carry audio, try back in two weeks" spill!

10. John Kotches macrumors 6502

Do you mean HDMI 1.1, not VESA?

HDMI 1.1 allows for up to 8-channels of uncompressed audio @ 24bits/96K + Dolby Digital and DTS. So if you're outputting these it would work.

HDMI 1.2 allowed for bitstreaming of the DVD-Audio and SACD.

HDMI 1.3 added in "advanced" codec bitstreaming (DD+, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD, DTS-HD Master Audio).

11. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

No he meant VESA, as in the standard that the mini DisplayPort conforms to.