mdp hdmi adapter on new 2011 imac disables cec?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Benni-chan, May 27, 2011.

1. Benni-chan macrumors newbie

Hi,

i have 2 different MDP -> HDMI adapters. One supports Audio, the other doesn't. Both of them work fine with my Macbook Pro.
    But when I connect them to the Thunderbolt Ports of my new iMac, the CEC connection between my TV and my receiver doesn't work anymore.

Anybody with the same problem?
    Can someone suggest an adapter which will work with audio and won't disable the CEC connection?

2. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

You need a thunderbolt adapter, which isn't available yet. Check out Kanex, they appear to be the only company actively working on something at the moment.

3. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

You don't need a thunderbolt adaptor to use an external display with the 2011 iMac. I'm not sure of an adaptor that will fix your issue, but I'm sure it exists.

4. phlydude macrumors regular

phlydude

I bought one from Monoprice (This one )
    and it works perfectly with both audio and video through my Pioneer VSX-1020-K

5. Benni-chan thread starter macrumors newbie

audio and video works with me, too.
    the problem is, that as soon as i plug the adapter into the imac, the cec connection between my tv and my receiver stops working. meaning, i can't control the receiver with my tv remote etc...
    edit: when i plug the adapter into my macbook pro, the cec connection keeps working...

6. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Weird....

I bought a 'budget cable' for $6 that carried signal, but I don't use cec, so I can't comment on whether that will work. It's really strange that would create that issue based on a new machine.

Keep us posted!

7. MatzeT macrumors newbie

I am experiencing the same problem with my macbook pro. When I plug it into my Philips TV, CEC (called EasyLink by Philips) stops working. Just had a support technician at my home. He explained me that if pin 13 is not properly connected at some device, the CEC feature will stop working for the whole HDMI bus.

My MDP-to-HDMI adapter is from KanaaN (bought it from Amazon and it was not very expensive). Which one are you using that works for your macbook pro?

8. Benni-chan thread starter macrumors newbie

i have two cheap no name adapters, which work with my 2010 macbook pro.
    do you have a thunderbolt equipped macbook pro or an older version?

9. MatzeT macrumors newbie

10. Benni-chan thread starter macrumors newbie

well, then i believe something in the thunderbolt connection disrupts the cec signal.
    maybe we have to wait for new thunderbolt->hdmi adapters...

11. walter80 macrumors newbie

Is there any news on this?

I have the exact same problem with a Loewe Xelos TV, a Loewe AudioVision DVD player and a 2011 MacBook Air: As soon as I plug in the MacBook the CEC link between the two Loewe devices stops working.

I too am using a KanaaN cable from Amazon.

Has anyone any experience with a similar setup and the Moshi or Belkin DisplayPort to HDMI adapters from the Apple Store?

12. Benni-chan thread starter macrumors newbie

i've removed the cec-pin in my hdmi adapter and now my tv and my receiver can communicate again :)

you need to remove pin 13 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hdmi ).
    Everything else still works, but the mac doesn't disrupt the cec signals of other devices anymore.