MDP > HDMI Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by KyleHD, Apr 14, 2009.

1. KyleHD macrumors newbie

i recently purchased hte Mini DisplayPort > HDMI adapter from monoprice. When i plugged it in and turned on the TV the best resolution i got was 1920x1080 (Interlaced) and it looks like crap.

The tv is 1080p and when i was using the mdp > vga adapter it worked fine at 1080p. When i tried to go back, (after trying the hdmi) the computer would not display the high resolution anymore.

im on a new macbook and the tv is an LG 42" 1080p

i had installed the mdp > vga adapter update, if that makes a difference

any ideas?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

3. KyleHD thread starter macrumors newbie

see...

update: now there are 2 other 60Hz options, but they look the same as the interlaced one

Attached Files:

4. KyleHD thread starter macrumors newbie

also this...

Attached Files:

5. KyleHD thread starter macrumors newbie

so my friends seem to think that the quility coming out of the computer is now so much better then the vga cable that it actually looks worse because the source quality is not very good.

i can kind of see their theory because watch a blue-ray movie or anything from a 1080i/p source looks really good, while a 720p source now seems alot worse then it did.

anyone care to comment?

also, anyone that has this adapter see the same display settings as me?

6. KyleHD thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah i realize im having a conversation with myself now but i figured i would add the follow in case someone is googleing and finds this.

i have found one of the problems. apparently all the presets on my tv are setting the sharpness way too high, so i created a user setting and turned it down, that pretty much got rid of my problem. also apparently my tv has a feature where any input can be set to "PC" mode and it eliminates overscan on that input. those 2 together fixed my problem.

now to the remaining problem. why is the MDP > HDMI adapter only outputting at 1080i?