MDP to display port...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gameface, Jan 5, 2011.

1. gameface macrumors 6502

So I have a Dell u2711 hooked up via DVI from my 2010 Mac Pro. I wanted to add a second screen so I got a MPD -> displayport adapter so that I could hook up my Dell via displayport and my crap monitor to DVI. Problem is, as soon as I plug in the MDP adapter the screen goes to the "stars" desktop and I can't see or do anything. What the hell am I missing?

2. 20eman macrumors member

I fail to see how that's relevant, since the OP is only using 2 screens, not 3...

3. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Two or three screens, you still have to use certain ports. Besides, if he's lost there are more links at the bottom of the page explaining things further.

4. 20eman macrumors member

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP says he's trying to plug a "legacy" monitor through the passive DVI port and a second monitor with a direct DisplayPort connection (where MDP is electrically identical to DisplayPort) which is an active connection. From what I understand, you don't need to use an active DVI adapter unless you're trying to power 3 screens. Or is the issue that you can't mix active and passive, at all, ever?

5. Vylen macrumors 65816

He doesn't need any active adapters. 5770/5870 have 1 DVI and 2 MDP, and he's using the native connections (save for the MDP->DP, but as previously mentioned, they're electrically identical).

Need some clarification, though, from the OP. Which screen goes to the "stars" desktop? What about the other screen? Does that black out or something?

Aside from those questions, I can say that some monitors and/or the graphics card can be picky about the type of DP cable you're using and can result in the monitor not receiving signal and all that.