MDP to dvi or MDP to dual link dvi?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, May 10, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Hello,

Im looking to buy on of these adapters from apple and I'm not sure which to purchase. I know the single link adapter would be good for the 24in monitor ill be hooking it up to about half the time, but the other half of the time ill have it hooked up to either a 40in or 52in HDTV. Will the single link be able to handle this or will I need,or am I at least better off with the dual link adapter?

On a side not, what does the dual link actually offer over the single link, and what is the usb adapter on it for?

Thanks in advance,
    James

2. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

3. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

You will only need a Dual Link DVI if you are planning on outputting a resolution higher than 1920x1200....which an HDTV cannot do. Physical size has nothing to do with it.

Single Link.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The only resolution you need the dual-link adapter is for 2560x1600

5. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Ok sounds good:cool:

Btw, how would 1920x1200 look on an HDTV that was mirroring my macbook's screen? would it look distorted or would it be sharp and clear like how it is on my macbook's screen?

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Your TV won't output 1920x1200, since 1080p is 1920x1080.

On a 42-50inch screen, it will most likely look fuzzy, since the pixels on that big of a screen are huge, and it blows the picture up. That is mainly for text, and if you are sitting at a normal TV watching distance, it shouldn't look too bad. I would only suggest outputting your macbook to a large TV when you are either using your macbook as your dvd player, or if you're using it as a picture slideshow presenter. Browsing the internet and editing text won't look good at all.

7. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Well I was planning to hook it up to the tv for movies and I was going to use it for my regular tasks, but now that I know that I probably wont. I guess a 24in monitor will be the biggest I go for my regular tasks.

Thanks for the quick reply's guys.

8. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Btw, is there anyway I can get two monitors running off of my macbook?

9. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

10. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

do these split the picture up? Or will they allow you to have 2 separate work stations? Just for simplification, would they stretch out the wallpaper or allow me to have 2 separate ones?
    - sorry if its not clear