MDP to HDMI: No Sound

Alisha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Hello,
I purchased a 27in iMac last week! I also bought an Minidisplay port to HDMI adapter WITH SOUND from Monoprice. Unfortunately, I cannot get sound to come out of my TV no matter what I try. I have tried changing the resolution of the screen, changing the sound setting to the HDMI plug (it recognizes it...), but nothing seems to work. The sound always comes though the imac speakers, no matter what options I choose. Does anyone have any insight?

Alisha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
And I also reset the PRAM with command, option, p, and r. Now it doesnt recognize the HDMI, and when I plug it in, the screen flashes blue several times. :(

Comment

R.OG

Suspended
Aug 19, 2010
Hello,
I purchased a 27in iMac last week! I also bought an Minidisplay port to HDMI adapter WITH SOUND from Monoprice. Unfortunately, I cannot get sound to come out of my TV no matter what I try. I have tried changing the resolution of the screen, changing the sound setting to the HDMI plug (it recognizes it...), but nothing seems to work. The sound always comes though the imac speakers, no matter what options I choose. Does anyone have any insight?
Make sure you select HDMI as your output device in sound preferences.

EDIT: Never mind, i see you tried that already.

Comment

Alisha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Make sure you select HDMI as your output device in sound preferences.

EDIT: Never mind, i see you tried that already.
Yeah, tried that. I know the HDMI cable works...I used it with another computer. And I double checked the adapter from monoprice...it is supposed to have sound.

Comment

Alisha

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
I just ended up calling monoprice and they RMAed the adapter. Will see if the new one works when it arrives...

Comment