MDP to MDP using thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by NemP, Apr 3, 2013.

1. NemP macrumors newbie

So I've read all this confusing mumbo jumbo on how backwards compatible the thunderbolt cable is and isn't between models that support only one of the 2. Although, I'm yet to find anything on whether I can use 2 devices with Mini display ports and connect them with thunderbolt. I'm naturally leaning towards the idea that I can't, but I'd love to hear from others. I was initially told I could from an apple employee, but haven't had any luck. Using a late 2009 imac to a 2011ish macbook pro. Both with Mini display ports.

2. simsaladimbamba

If you want to connect two Macs directly via a Thunderbolt cable, both Macs NEEED TO HAVE a Thunderbolt port, which excludes every pre-2011 Mac.

To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP):
    [​IMG]

3. NemP thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I want to use the thunderbolt cable to achieve a dual monitor not transfer files.

4. simsaladimbamba

Ah, then it might be possible, but a MiniDisplayPort cable should be the better option, if you go from Thunderbolt to MiniDisplayPort.

5. NemP thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm aware that a solution would be to just use a MDP cable, but I'm curious if anyone knows if a thundercable would work in my situation. Since I already have a thundercable at hand. Which is connecting two devices with only MDP ports together with thundercable to share screens. I figure since the thundercable is just a MDP cable with a few more features and it's claimed to be "backwards compatible" it should function just like a MDP cable in this case.

6. simsaladimbamba

Just test it then, but as far as I know, it will probably not work.

7. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

wouldn't it be easier to just hook it up and see if it works rather than taking the time to come on here and ask if it'll work, seeing as no one is currently in your situation.