Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KniVideo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Over the past few months i've noticed a file in my MBP's Macintosh HD folder named "mds-crash-state" that cannot be opened. After doing some reading, I found that I should probably do a live verification. Of course, it came up with an error and advised repairing my disk. I called apple (not having repaired my disk before), and I went through the same process through the install DVD's disk utility and got an error trying to verify and repair. Something about invalid node - other than that, not much info was given. The guys at apple suggested I try 3rd party apps for repairing such as DiskWarrior. At this point, I reminded myself that this all came about due to my curiosity. In other words, I'm not experiencing any problems associated with this. Yet, it seems like there is an issue worth remedying here. I just don't know how to fix it.

I would like to add that oftentimes my MBP will turn off if disconnected from the power supply and will not start up until reconnected to it. Pretty annoying considering its a LAPTOP. I had my battery replaced 2 months ago. Could my failed attempts to repair/mds-crash-state somehow be connected to this issue?

Thanks,
Chris

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
You just told us you're not having problems and then you told us about the battery problem... You must get this fixed, or you face losing access to all the data on your hard drive. Either follow Apple's advice and purchase an alternative disk repair app, or replace the hard drive. Either way, back everything up immediately. :)

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
I ditto the backup reminder, but mds-crash-state files are just leftover from when the spotlight indexer crashes for whatever reason. maybe something might be wrong, but odds are it's just a trivial error.

the other issues though - like the disk utility one and the power one...those need to be looked at.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, janey's right as usual. Sorry I wasn't clear but it's the disk error I'm worried about at this stage. Don't worry about the Spotlight files and the battery problem, as annoying as it is, should be second priority but fixed nonetheless.

KniVideo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 22, 2007
Well, thanks for the advice. I took my MBP to the Apple store and was pretty impressed by the "genius" at the genius bar. Within about 16hrs after leaving it there, my mac was ready to be picked up and all the problems seem to have been solved.

Turns out I got a bum battery from Apple about a month ago. Got a new battery, disk error is gone, and just deleted the spotlight "mds-crash-state" file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.