"mds" going crazy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DesmoPilot, Jun 17, 2010.

1. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

For whatever reason "mds" is taking up 30-75% of my CPU and causing my HDD to work overtime. Know it has something to do with spotlight, but how to I stop it? Tried resetting PRAM about an hour ago and it stopped; but for whatever reason it has decided to come back in the last few mins.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Is Spotlight showing a time to completion estimate? Did you add any new hard drives or make any recent OS X updates?

3. DesmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

Same HD I've had in this thing since I've basically got it, only recent OS X update was was to 10.6.4. Just a few mins ago I was watching a movie when the system beachballed, could expose but not do anything else like force quit. Forced shutdown and restarted, verified the HDD and it said it needed repairs; so I repaired it off of the OS X DVD and it said it was successful. In the process of backing up everything right now; hopefully my HDD isn't dying and it's just a hiccup from 10.6.4. Maybe the fact that this install is a clone from a different HDD may of caused the problem?

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Drag the HD to the privacy panel.

Check your fonts again using FontBook.app, make sure there are no errors -- these used to trip up mds.

But it can also be hanging on a new pdf with included font you downloaded.

---

If you want to check out the drive download SMART Utility.app, this will allow you to check the drive

You can look at the Power On Hours, Bad Sectors, current # of errors, etc. If the errors are low you should be OK, if there are a lot of bad sectors ... finish the backup.

5. DesmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

Ran the "short" test and it completed without error.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

My drive ended up with 16,000 hours 100's of bad sectors and 6000 errors and couldn't run any test without ending with an error. :eek:

Got a new one.

7. DesmoPilot thread starter macrumors 65816

Dang. There any reason to run the long test? Or is the short one sufficient.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you have no errors (it is a lifetime number) and no bad sectors, likely the drive is OK.

And the drive problem you repaired was from turning off the machine. Which happens.