mds Using 20%+ CPU

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BeSweeet, Apr 6, 2010.

1. BeSweeet macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I noticed that "mds" in Activity Monitor is ALWAYS using at least 20% CPU. Why is this? I guess it's related to Spotlight, which I need to have enabled.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yeah, it's Spotlight. Have you tried quitting it? There are other Spotlight alike apps like Quicksilver so you can disable it if you want

3. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

I didn't disable Spotlight because I need it...

4. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Wait, I figured it out :). CMD+Space brings up the Spotlight box. I type in the name of an application that I'm looking for, press enter, and it opens the application. The Spotlight box is still up there in the background searching for anything else related to whatever it is that I typed. CMD+Space to bring up the box, press escape a few times to make the box go away, and mds is down to 0.0%. While it's sort of annoying, I'm glad I figured it out. Surprised nobody else really noticed something like this (or if it's just me).

5. Arrandale macrumors regular

escape? you could just hit delete to clear the text in the spotlight box before you put it away... that way it doesn't search for anything

6. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Well, if I just push escape twice, it clears the box, and makes it go away.

7. BeSweeet thread starter macrumors 68000

BeSweeet

Yeah. Even after searching for something in Spotlight, and opening something, Spotlight is still in the background trying to search for stuff (hard drive is CONSTANTLY doing random stuff). Bringing up Spotlight, clearing it out, and closing it, will bring mds down to 0.0%, where, if it were left in the background searching for stuff, it would use 10-30% forever.