mdworker takes up 100% cpu

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by alexcarterkarsu, Sep 2, 2013.

1. alexcarterkarsu macrumors newbie

I have a rMBP running dp6, it was all fine until last week that I noticed that mdworker is taking up 100% cpu power and ran for days on end. Using the power indicator, it says it is spotlight that is using significant power. so I used the fs_usage with sudo to see what files it is indexing. But it seems to me the file accessing is not as intensive as the power drain suggests, and even after putting those folder into the exclusion list in the spotlight menu, the power drain persists... rebuilding spotlight index doesn't help, either. So does anyone have a clue what is going on here? Thanks!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The index appears to be rebuilding which is why you see the mdworker thread so much cpu.

Did you add/replace a drive or do anything to the disk that could cause spotlight to rebuild?

You can try excluding folders in spotlight to see if that stops the rebuilding process.

3. alexcarterkarsu thread starter macrumors newbie

I had a 4T HDD for both backup and time machine, but before it never had a problem like this, just wondering if DP6 triggered something... but you are right, I should try excluding the HDD from spotlight and see...