Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I purchased an entry level iPad in January and it did nothing for me. I use my MacBook Pro and my iPhone 4S so much more than the iPad. I feel bad about my purchase.

Everyone I know LOVES their iPad and uses it over everything.

My problem is its just INCONVENIENT and uncomfortable to use for me. I usually lay down using my laptop and I enjoy it. Sometimes I try to use the iPad and I just don't even really enjoy it. I don't know why. :(. It's so slow now with iOS 5.

So for Christmas I want to sell my iPad and get a white iPad 2 for myself with 3G. Will that be much of a difference? Is it worth it. It seems like I would love it. Just something's missing. It's like it's an uncomfortable device to type on and handle so maybe it being thinner will help me?

Do you think the iPad 3 is gonna be that much thinner and the resolution be different?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
I got rid of my 16 GB iPad 1 and now have a 16Gb 3G iPad 2. The iPad 2 is a lot faster with ios5 compared to the iPad 1 with ios5. I used my iPad 1 a lot, so I wanted to upgrade for 3g capabilities. If you did not care much for the iPad 1, you probably won't like the iPad 2. There's not that much difference between the two other than mirroring capabilities and faster speed. The iPad 3 will have a better screen and probably slightly different design and perhaps 4G. If you are uncertain about the iPad 2, then wait until the iPad 3 comes out next spring or summer.

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I get where you're coming from.

It's not that I don't like it. It's just that it's uncomfortable to use and I feel limited by iOS. On my laptop I have my music library and stuff. I can't do that with 16 GBs. IDK.

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010

In what position. Portrait or landscape? I have big fingers and it's hard to type in portrait but I read in portrait. LOL.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future

In what position. Portrait or landscape? I have big fingers and it's hard to type in portrait but I read in portrait. LOL.

Both. The iPad loses a lot of the roundedness of the last generation, so you don't have to move it around in your hands as much to type successfully.
If an iPad in portrait is too hard to type with on your big fingers, how do you use an iPhone? Lol

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010

I use my fingers, not my thumbs like I do on my iPhone. It feels ridiculous using my thumbs on an iPad. Hahaha

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009

I use my fingers, not my thumbs like I do on my iPhone. It feels ridiculous using my thumbs on an iPad. Hahaha

Not if you split the keyboard

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
iPad is not suited for typing. I prefer just lying down on my side and watching some youtube or do some surfing. I used to have a Macbook Pro too and then I just didn't use my iPad, so I would say that a laptop is just easier in bed for typing.

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
I understand man... The iPad is a pain to carry around. It's like it doesn't have a rightful place in my lineup. It feels like more than a large iPhone, but at the same time that's all it is. I bring it everywhere with me, but 1. It's a pain, and 2. It's weird not having ALL my notifications on it. Sometimes I have to check my phone for a message, sometimes the iPad, sometimes I get an iMessage on both, sometimes it's just the phone. I have to turn both on silent/off silent, update both of their apps, ect... Idk. It's just annoying managing them both. I wish it wasn't but it is. I'm thinking of selling my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 and switching back to Android (Galaxy Nexus) Big screen, *high res, faster, 1 device and not 2 to lug around... So tempting. I don't want to make rash decisions like I did with my last 4 Android devices though.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I understand man... The iPad is a pain to carry around. It's like it doesn't have a rightful place in my lineup. It feels like more than a large iPhone, but at the same time that's all it is. I bring it everywhere with me, but 1. It's a pain, and 2. It's weird not having ALL my notifications on it. Sometimes I have to check my phone for a message, sometimes the iPad, sometimes I get an iMessage on both, sometimes it's just the phone. I have to turn both on silent/off silent, update both of their apps, ect... Idk. It's just annoying managing them both. I wish it wasn't but it is. I'm thinking of selling my iPad 2 and iPhone 4 and switching back to Android (Galaxy Nexus) Big screen, *high res, faster, 1 device and not 2 to lug around... So tempting. I don't want to make rash decisions like I did with my last 4 Android devices though.

Just a thought but if you carry them both around all the time, why even use iMessage on the iPad? As you cannot receive iMessages sent to your phone number on the iPad, you're never going to be able to receive all of your iMessages there. My advice would be set up your iPhone to receive all of your iMessages (phone number and email address) and just shut it off on the iPad.

I also carry around both devices most of the time but each has its own primary functions-- messaging, reading email, certain apps on the iPhone and web browsing, writing longer emails, viewing documents, reading, video and games on the iPad.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
I never had an iPad till I bought the iPad 2 but this thing is incrediblly fast and I found its easier to grab my iPad and get on macrumors and Facebook on my iPad than pull my laptop out. This thing is adicting for sure.

HoldFastHope

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Sydney, AU
It's not that I don't like it. It's just that it's uncomfortable to use and I feel limited by iOS. On my laptop I have my music library and stuff. I can't do that with 16 GBs. IDK.

A faster OS and larger storage means nothing if you don't find it comfortable to use. I don't think the slightly reduced dimensions of the iPad 2 will change how you feel about using it, so in a way you've already answered your own question.

Wait for the iPad 3. Or just learn to appreciate what you have rather than worrying about what else is out there.

Last edited:

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Yikes! iPad 1?

For all you people who still use these, for GOD's sake upgrade.

(Apple should recall them :D )....yes it's that bad.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009

You need the right case like the original apple case or a speck case the folds to tilt the iPad up!

britneyfan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 18, 2010

It's just bulky and heavy to me for some reason. I tried a lot of different cases. The iPad 2 seems so light and airy though.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
So why agonize over it then? Sell the iPad you have now. Clearly it's not working out for you.

Then, buy an iPad 2 and use it as much as you can during the return period. Make ABSOLUTELY sure you like it. If you do, great. If not, return it and go back to using your laptop.

There's no law the says you MUST enjoy using an iPad, or that you MUST have one and like it. It isn't for everyone.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I feel the exact opposite as OP. Tried going without an iPad for a few months. Picked up an 11" MBA. A "REAL" computer. It's not that I hated it, I just didn't like using it as much as the iPad. There was so much the iPad had that the MBA didn't. Real instant on. 10-hr battery. No fans - never gets uncomfortably warm. Thin and light enough, even with the charger, that I can just throw it in my bag and forget that it's even there. form factor easy to maneuver and manipulate. Read in bed? No problem. Pass a family photos album around the table? Works great. Watch a movie on a long haul flight without worrying about how far back the guy in front is leaning back? Yep.

Now don't get me wrong. The iPad has some seriously annoying limitations. I'm still waiting for a full fledged Office-compatible app, for example. But most everything else can be addressed through some sort of an app. With the right apps, the iPad has become absolutely indispensable to me.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
the iPad2 is much faster than the first gen iPad.

I look at the iPad as a lounge around the couch, bed, bathroom device. It's not for serious computing and is for entertainment more than anything else.

i prefer to use iPhone for when I'm out and about. The iPad's larger screen make for a great eReader, viewing PDF's and when I need some quiet time go watch a movie in the bathroom!

mommytoiPad

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
I guess the question becomes what do you want the iPad to do? If your phone handles 80% of what you do on the iPad, then you really probably don't need an iPad.

Personally, since most of what I do is search the web, reply to emails, mod and post on forums, the iPad is perfect. It's only recently that I'm running into limitations that apply to work related emails and finding the proper app to use to achieve what I would normally do on a PC or laptop.

As far as taking to bed, what about one of those Apple Pillow type lap iPad holders? And though I make mistakes from time to time, I've become quite proficient on typing on the iPad. My biggest gaff's are in/on and if/of and out/put I do have an Apple Bluetooth keyboard that I use for days I need to do a lot of typing. Nice similar feel to a regular Mac keyboard.

But as a woman, I love that I can literally put my iPad into my purse/tote, and off I go. I found a nice faux reptile looking cover that resembles the one that most ereaders have. It's lightly padded, can be flipped to stand up or has a button down kickstand. I actually wish I had bought two as I know it will be hard to find covers for first generations pretty soon.

Make a list of what things you love about it....and what things you don't. Maybe you'd be better with the little Mac Air (I think that's what it's called) laptop?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.