Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 24, 2011
Any updates on the Apple Mail situation, now that we have iOS 6 and OS X 10.8.2?

I've tried logging into http://www.icloud.com with my @me.com account and it works, but changing it to @icloud.com doesn't.

I've noticed that over here it mentions @icloud.com:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/ios.html (between steps 3 and 4)

But here it's still the old @me.com:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/mac.html (between steps 2 and 3)

However, when I tried enabling iCloud Mail on my iPhone, it just connected to my @me.com account without changing anything or asking me anything.

dumboa

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
Any updates on the Apple Mail situation, now that we have iOS 6 and OS X 10.8.2?

I've tried logging into http://www.icloud.com with my @me.com account and it works, but changing it to @icloud.com doesn't.

I've noticed that over here it mentions @icloud.com:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/ios.html (between steps 3 and 4)

But here it's still the old @me.com:

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/mac.html (between steps 2 and 3)

However, when I tried enabling iCloud Mail on my iPhone, it just connected to my @me.com account without changing anything or asking me anything.

Me too. tried to send a test email to name@icloud.com but got a returned error. Also tried to turn Mail in iCloud setting on/off but no luck !!!

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Same here can't seem to change it over from @me to @icloud, was hoping to have my new @icloud.com email as my apple ID, but have noticed that when you now try to change ur apple ID via the apple ID site there are now rules one of which states that an apple ID cannot have an apple owned extension :-0

karsten

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
apple responds

apple has today posted the definitive answer to this, after days of my anguishing over the same thing to make sure i got my name reserved.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5441?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

tl;dr- it will take several weeks for it to become active; it will do so automatically and you will get an email when it is ready.

sticky this maybe i'm sure others are wondering.

later :apple:

garethjs

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2008
My gf and me signed up for MobileMe in its early days and then my mum and sister did so 2 years later. The both of them have icloud aliases already both me and my gf don't.

I tried on my mums account to log into iTunes and icloud.com and apple ID site with xxx@icloud.com and it works.

So in theory apple has merged apple IDs together. Only problem is u can't remove the me.com. So despite having 2 primary accounts and being able to log in to both, the default ID account ID still sets to me.com. Easily changed by going to mail settings and changing the preferred address but I wish apple allowed this to happen by default by letting us delete the me.com or at least hiding it.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Still no luck in emailing to my @icloud.com address but this below is a start!

Edit: Tried changing my Apple ID and nothing came up. Still under my @gmail account. :(

Screen Shot 2012-09-26 at 2.24.43 PM.png

Last edited:

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
i can sign into icloud.com, iTunes with @icloud.com but can not change it to be my apple ID or use it as my email address yet :confused:

shiftless

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2012
i can sign into icloud.com, iTunes with @icloud.com but can not change it to be my apple ID or use it as my email address yet :confused:

I have also been trying to change my Apple ID to the .me/.icloud address with no success. Reading where you cannot use any Apple email for your Apple ID.

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Not able to yet, but it seems it might be possible in the near future.

See scott523's attachment.
I'm not sure how it happened. I think I deleted the @icloud.com email from the alternate emails and attempted to change my AppleID, disregarding the "cannot use a domain owned by Apple" rule. As a result, it changed my primary address instead and offered to make it my AppleID as well (though unable to do so right now).

The interesting part are changes (after deleting my iCloud account then re-adding) to my iCloud settings on my iPhone4S. Note the arrow next to the email field, allowing me to change to my @icloud.com email.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
still have not changed from @me.com to @icloud.com

im assuming i have to wait to get a email from apple that it has changed or keep trying to email @icloud.com till it goes through than i know?

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
for those who did get @icloud.com email to work was your previous apple ID a @me.com one or something else?

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
I think this is were we are at with this whole @icloud.com thing....

I think at present everyones @icloud.com email addresses (for there main email) are slowly being added to peoples accounts. I think the aliases will be added later.

If you remove icloud from your device completely then re add it to your device your @icloud.com email address will show but not for your aliases.

I think once everyones new email addresses are added then they will get activated, as at this present time even though I can FaceTime, iMessage and have my @icloud.com as my primary email address, for some reason the email address is still not active, as emails sent to it just get a failed delivery email in return...

I think once everyone's @icloud.com email addresses get activated everyone will be able to make their iCloud.com email addresses their apple ID's thus apple trying to get everyone with an @icloud.com apple ID, this makes me think that possibly apple's future plans will include eventually scrapping @mac.com, @me.com and any other previous email extensions they have owned before so everyone will eventually have one email account with apple an @icloud.com email account.

What do you guys think???

dumboa

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2012
I'm not sure how it happened. I think I deleted the @icloud.com email from the alternate emails and attempted to change my AppleID, disregarding the "cannot use a domain owned by Apple" rule. As a result, it changed my primary address instead and offered to make it my AppleID as well (though unable to do so right now).

The interesting part are changes (after deleting my iCloud account then re-adding) to my iCloud settings on my iPhone4S. Note the arrow next to the email field, allowing me to change to my @icloud.com email.

Indeed Scott, I followed your method and now got @iCloud.com as my primary address in iCloud setting. The strange thing is I can send email from name@icloud.com to my gmail but can not reply or send email to name@icloud.com (Delivery failed)

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
this makes me think that possibly apple's future plans will include eventually scrapping @mac.com, @me.com and any other previous email extensions they have owned before so everyone will eventually have one email account with apple an @icloud.com email account.

What do you guys think???

I agreed up to this point. Apple will not drop the @mac.com and @me.com email addresses. Too many people have them as established email address for many years and would be furious if they were gone, and the effort to keep them active is very minimal. No one else will be able to sign up for them, obviously, though.

jW

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Won't happen. There is absolutely no benefit to removing the old address and the effort to keep them around is pretty much nothing - it's a pointer in the account - and they are going to keep the domain names anyhow - branding after all. Not to mention the number of accounts people have tied to .mac or .me - many of them Apple ID's and the amount of migration involved would be more trouble than it's worth.

They had every opportunity to get rid of .mac addresses years ago and they never did - there is no reason to do that since they don't issue new ones anyhow. The servers aren't doing any more work to keep them alive now so why bother?

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010

Ok, I finally got the option, but it only allows me to change @me to @icloud under emails. It won't let me sign in using @icloud (have to use @me). Am I missing something? What's the point of all this?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
I got a popup this morning about allowing xxxxx@icloud.com and I accepted it. It did not change how I login to iCloud but I can use the icloud.com to send from but not yet receive. Funny thing is my wife has not yet received any notification for her account.

Check that.... cannot send from the icloud.com address either. Guess Apple is getting things ready.

Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Indeed Scott, I followed your method and now got @iCloud.com as my primary address in iCloud setting. The strange thing is I can send email from name@icloud.com to my gmail but can not reply or send email to name@icloud.com (Delivery failed)

This likely just means that Apple has in fact enabled the iCloud email but it is just going to take a day or two for the update to propogate to the mail servers around the world. Same thing happens when you make domain name changes for a website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.