@me.com now converting over to @icloud.com

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by armandxp, Oct 8, 2012.

1. armandxp macrumors 6502

armandxp

My old @me address now shows in iOS6 I can use either the me or the icloud one. Able to turn one or the other off, also. It's under the email advanced settings. This wasn't on my phone a couple weeks ago. I have another @me account I opened earlier this year, and this one doesn't have the option of @icloud.com yet. :eek:

Attached Files:

2. Rigby macrumors 601

Be careful: I have these options too, but my @icloud address does not work yet (I get delivery errors when I try to send a mail to it).

3. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

Same for me. It lets me select @icloud for email, and it includes @ iCloud for iMessage and FaceTime. But if I send an email to @icloud, it bounces. And if I try to send email from it, it fails (SMTP error). So, am i doing something wrong, or is it just a matter of waiting? Should I be asking someone at Apple? Who?

4. Rigby macrumors 601

Apple mentioned somewhere on their support pages that existing users of @me addresses will be notified when their @icloud address is available.

5. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

Didn't even think to try emailing with it yet. I'll have to try.

6. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

Mine must have updated. It's sending emails to and from the @icloud.com just fine.

7. NedFlanders macrumors member

NedFlanders

Earlier today I sent an email to my @iCloud address and it arrived in my @me account.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Tried it, @icloud.com still not working for me.

9. Deguello macrumors 6502

The iCloud.com address is working for me, as well.

10. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Man this is gonna confused a load of my people that i gave them my @me! So is apple gonna remove @me?

Im hoping not and never cuz i dont want to tell everyone to email me to @icloud.

11. roxxette macrumors 68000

roxxette

Dont think so, when ios 6 beta drooped i noticed the @icloud stuff, its very good if you have the full apple combo (macbook/iphone/ipad) i have imessage and facetime setup with @icloud, my iphone with my number and macbooks with @me.

If you email @icloud or login with it will act the same, i think the purpose is what im doing but of course i can be wrong.

12. Oohara macrumors 68020

Oohara

Wait, so they're nuking the @me and forcing people to switch to @icloud? That would totally suck, @me is a 1000 cooler domain to have in your adress :(

13. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Here's what Apple does and has done in the past. When ME came out they didn't and won't nuke the .mac addresses, when they try to do is sneakily start making you use the new address. things like setting your default reply address as Me.com or now iCloud.com...

Your old addresses will continue to work indefinitely or until Apple announces otherwise, which they never have announced. They just want people to use the new one and will push you in that direction at every opportunity.

14. armandxp thread starter macrumors 6502

armandxp

They have a memo out, that you will be able to use both email addresses indefinitely. No need to worry or panic.

15. Rigby macrumors 601

Quick update: I received an email from Apple today saying that my @icloud address has been activated, and it works now. So they are still updating them.

16. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

Here my problem with this whole @icloud.com & @me.com addresses.

Okay, so I have a @me.com address right and remember guys @me.com address was paid version on MobileMe now it's free. So, all my friends, family, co-workers and etc. have my @me.com address. So my scary problem is Apple trying to do away with @me.com addresses for @icloud? Like i'm sick of people having so many email addresses like stick to one and thats it but this is gonna be the death of me... :(

17. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Your @me.com address will still work. I'm still using an @mac.com address, and the service hasn't been called "dot Mac" for years. And mine actually goes back almost a decade to Apple iTools.

Interesting that these announcement emails are coming - I've been able to receive email sent to @icloud.com for over a month, though just got the email tonight, and my account started as an @mac.com account (from way, way back when it was called iTools!).

18. KattDaDon macrumors 6502

I hope so and I forgot to mention the fact I had the iCloud.com option from iOS 6 beta but never paid any attention to it