.me question on the iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by txr0ckabilly, Jun 12, 2008.

1. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

just wondering...

with a .me account, we can enter our contacts on our mac/pc and it pushes that info to our iphones. with the amount of photos on peoples' myspace, flicker, etc. can we update our contacts photos with these sites on the mac/pc and it will push them too?

i liked the idea of people's pictures showing up on the home screen when they called but i didn't like trying to remember when i saw them- "oh i need a picture of you for your contact info."

also wondering can we create folders on the fly with our iphone, or do they need to be created on the mac/pc first?

i'm kind of anal when it comes to organizing photos, contacts, music...

on another note, i have loved since day 1 how integrated all the software is on the iphone and look forward to it being more so- from emails with address and phone numbers directly linking to maps and contacts, among other things...

just amazing.

2. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

actually, it's still sorta up in the air until .me comes out. i will tell you this though...i bought a .mac account a few days ago and completely set up the sync systemt to sync my contacts, ical and mail. it worked pretty well except for the fact it didn't port over the contacts picture (which you wanted).

so, now i have my MBP address book with all my contacts (pictures and all), but on the .mac address book, it just has their data and no pics.

now, i do think once .me rolls out, things will change A LOT. i think eveything will sync as you would expect.

there is ONE huge problem i see though....if .me is always syncing, then what happens if you accidentally delete a contact (or many contacts) and .me syncs right away? *GASP*.....now your contacts are gone because .me overwrote your Mac's address book and .me web address book!

OUCH! :(

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Yes.
    Schiller displayed it doing every one of the things you just proposed at WWDC, including contact's pictures and whatnot.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

use time machine, silly

5. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

very true. in fact, i still haven't purchased a backup drive for this. i plan on getting one before July 11th tho. :eek:

6. txr0ckabilly thread starter macrumors 6502

must have missed that.

did he address the creation of folders with the iphone too? cause i didn't see that either.

7. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I don't think he did talk about creating folders on the iPhone, but the 12 minute MobileMe walkthrough video does show John(?) using the folders as well as connecting a photo to a contact on the iPhone and that being synced to Contacts, me.com, etc.

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

For me contact photos get synced back to my desktop from my iPhone. I'm surprised it doesn't work for you also.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The OP is talking about syncing through .Mac, not the iPhone. Currently .Mac doesn't have that capability, but will soon when MobileMe debuts. It'll look a lot like syncing through iPhone, done over the air.

10. DamFu macrumors regular

DamFu

All of what you described, including the contact pictures, is shown in the guided demo. I watched it the other day and it only made me more excited for the launch.

http://www.apple.com/mobileme/

11. txr0ckabilly thread starter macrumors 6502

just watched the video. man this .me is looking sweeter and sweeter!

still can't create folders on iPhone but it's not that big of a deal.