"Me" settings on Iphone

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SusanC, Oct 5, 2014.

1. SusanC macrumors newbie

We have four Iphones on our account. The "me" setting on all of the phones sync to the same person. Siri calls me by my sons name! Any time I change it, it changes it on all the phones. What am I doing wrong?

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

You're all using the same iCloud account, and Contacts is enabled in iCloud on all four phones. In that case, there's going to be just one "Me."

There are few, if any advantages to sharing the same iCloud account.
    And with the new Family Sharing features http://support.apple.com/kb/HT201060 there are fewer reasons to share the same iTunes Store account as well.

Separate your identities. That'll be very helpful for iMessage and FaceTime, and buys you other advantages.

Each iCloud account gets 5gb free storage, so instead of trying (and failing) to backup all four of your iPhones to a single, 5gb free account, each phone has (likely) plenty of room for backups. Each person can maintain their own contacts, iCloud photo libraries, etc.

3. campyguy macrumors 68040

And, keep in mind that each of you can use one (or different) iTunes & App Store accounts, or take advantage of setting up multiple iTunes & App Store accounts using the same credit card - it's called Family Sharing, a new feature in iOS 8 - so you can set up individual iCloud accounts and keep the same music and app library.

On a Mac, you can also have multiple iTunes libraries on one Mac or PC - hold down the Option Key or Shift Key when launching iTunes and you'll get prompted to select or create a new library. You can also share or separate contacts into groups - so there will be four "me" people in your family...