Me so happy, new 3G Verizon mad!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMetalG5, Oct 15, 2008.

1. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

So I did it, bought the 3G 8GB tonight. With my FAN my plan is $52 a month with the 450plan. Not bad. I also got the activation fee waived (FAN) and a $25 credit. I was happy.

Ever since I inquired about my ETF with Verizon and disclosing I am going to ATT for the iPhone Verizon has called me MANY MANY times on my old cell trying to convince me to stay. Being a 12yr old customer they said they were willing to sell me the DARE for $20 or something. I guess it was my new every 2 + a $50 rebate + $30 credit. Sorry NO DARE FOR ME.

Finally after I got my iPhone and ported my Verizon # I got a call about 3hrs after leaving the ATT store from Verizon. explained that if i was not happy with ATT after 30 days to call them back and they will re-activate me at NO CHARGE. Kept pushing the DARE cell and that I would be able to purchase it for $20. I told them thanks and will keep them in mind AND THEN the girl started saying what if we are able to give you the DARE for FREE? Would I be willing to go back to ATT and return the iPhone? I declined and she would not stop! "Let's sweeten the pot sir" HUH how about a discount on the data plan? i just told her no thanks and that i will be in touch if the iPhone / ATT do not work out in the next 30 days.

WOW is Verizon hurting or something? Sorry but maybe verizon should have picked up the iPhone to begin with. yeah i've been with them and loyal for 12yrs but i had to have the iPhone and ATT service is now up to par in 2008. sorry Verizon, I highly doubt I will come back.

2. nyfinest32 macrumors regular

3. crobbins macrumors 6502

When I cancelled a temporary Verizon account I had to sort of test the network, they practically gave me free service to stay with them. It could be that I mentioned.."that dreaded iPhone" :)

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats on your new 3G iPhone. My brother just left VZ for the AT&T data plan and the 3G iPhone, and VZ continued to throw those same deals at him this week. All they had was the Dare to offer him for free and the discounted data plan, but he said the Dare was like a silly toy compared to his new 3G iPhone... (I taught him everything he knows! LOL) :p

5. the caveman macrumors 6502

i think u shoulda stayed, cause new Storm is coming out on Verizon , looks like a better phone IMHO ( i am not apple hater, in fact i carry 16gb black).

6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Welcome! You're going to love your iPhone...it's uber-sweet!

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Don't sing all the iphone praises until you've tested the GSM service.

The iphone is wonderful (though I AM a button person by choice) - but ATT service S_U_C_K_S GSM is worlds inferior to CDMA.

If only the iphone was CDMA.... *sigh*

8. LinMac macrumors 65816

Actually.. (I do love that so much), the iPhone 3G uses UMTS in 3G areas which is based on WCDMA. The HSPDA is just an extension of UMTS which is why 3G coverage can be decent with such a poor buildout.

GSM itself isn't so bad, but at&t's network isn't the greatest. CDMA isn't perfect either as I had a Sprint phone that dropped calls constantly when my GSM phone just cuts out for a second without dropping the call. Both are annoying, but the GSM technology allows the call to pick back up while the CDMA technology just dropped the call outright.

at&t sucks for a lot of reasons, but the technology behind it isn't really to blame.

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I can't stand the frequency used (has a harder time penetrating buildings / objets) than the bands used by CDMA.

The packet transmissions are picked up by anything that has an audio amplifier, and create the wonderful buzz click-click-click harmony.

The lack of security of a GSM line is somewhat concerning. (they are VERY easy to listen in on - CDMA is much harder to do this with) I understand big brother can listen in on whatever it chooses - I'm more concerned about other fine individuals doing this.

Oh yes - and how the signal can go from full-bars to "no service" without any movement of the phone or it's surroundings.

These problems I have not experienced with CDMA. But yes - I do concur that MOST of the problems are with ATT and not GSM - as my iphone worked fine out in Israel.

10. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

that is what i am worried about, the service. i'll give it a good 30 day test and hope for the best.

Verizon seemed to "play" on that and said that ATT has their issues and tht CDMA is superior and "never fails like ATT service" and kept on goin how ATT is very iffy. I kinda felt like it was a scare tactic. But yeah I have heard that its not great but its not like it was 2 years ago when the thing rarely worked. But one thing the CSR at Verizon confirmed was they will not carry the iPhone. Said if they ever did it would be at least 5yrs or so?

I'll keep you guys updated on ATT service...

11. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

interesting, last night Verizon CSR explained I would be able to get the Storm for $100 or something and they would up my employer discount to 20% for the voice/data plan. And to consider that for the 30day trial because the Storm should be out by 11/15 or something. I just looked up the Storm and yeah it does look like its VZW answer to the iPhone. hmmmmm. they really want me back its kinda scary...the VZW CSRs have no qualms with bashing ATT service and the iPhone itself. Isn't this unethical?

12. DigMe macrumors 6502

I really loathe these kinds of negative and pushy business practices. Why not rep your own product and service? VZW definitely has a lot to be proud of since they have consistently come out on top for service and quality among the cell carriers over the years. I was glad that the VZW rep that I spoke to seemed like a pleasant, non-pushy person and did not do any of that so it seems to be a personal choice among the reps about what particular tactics they use. They have definitely been given info about AT&T and the iPhone from higher-ups that detail reasons they can try to use to retain customers though.

That wouldn't have phased me at all since I was already getting a 20% discount just like I get through AT&T. :)

13. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Its funny how they threw a 20% discount at you and i had to fight tooth and nail to get mine when i was a Verizon employee, and it never got applied to my account.

14. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i personally get a 25% discount with ATT from my employer because they use ATT for everything here (even iPhones are issued to the marketing/communications division so...)

but i only got a 15% Verizon discount, so i guess they think 20% will make me happier.

but i have to admit the Storm does look interesting but its no iPhone and how the CSR can say its "superior" to the iPhone baffles me. Has the CSR tested one out or own one!?

i just felt the CSR was using scare tactics on me. They were really saying how unreliable ATT service is and did mention the thing about being in buildings and how I will not have any service, etc...3G is slower than Verizons, blah blah blah.

15. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

With the economy the way it is nobody wants to lose customers right now

16. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

CDMA does not have SIM Cards, what a dumb decision when they were designing it.

17. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

You are a 12yr customer. They were right to try to keep you. You don't make much money on the short term guys. I would prefer the 5+ year guy.

Verizon isn't hurting for customers. You were just special. All you did was prove that they are on top of their game by noticing a 12yr user leaving.

18. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I was with Verizon for 12 years. I left after I felt they couldn't give two craps if I stayed. I wanted the Dare which they would have forced me to change plans which would cause me to lose 500 bonus minutes a month. No one had any power to transfer my bonus minutes to the new (national) plan. After calling in about 4 times to talk to different people including retentions, they just said 'sorry' and offered me the same thing they would offer a new customer off the street, a one time bonus of 1-200 minutes. I figured if loyalty wasn't appreciated, then I'd look elsewhere.

I went to the Apple store and got the iPhone. After trying it out and determining the coverage was 'somewhat ok' and weighing that against VZW not having any decent equipment, I called VZW to port. For the first time, this person actually asked what she could do to make me stay. I told her she could get me an iPhone on VZW. She laughed, thanked me for my 12 years, and started the port.

Long story short, the iPhone is a rather neat device. at&t service is inferior including coverage and data speeds. If the iPhone (or a sibling of) does end up on VZW at some point, I'm going back.

19. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

I work in the telecom industry and what they did is illegal. They cannot use the information that you are moving to AT&T to solicit you. They have protected information about you (as does AT&T) and they are strictly forbidden from using a situation like you described to sell you something. They especially cannot use this information that they have (that you are going to AT&T) to prove that their service is better than their competitors. This is in direct violation of FCC mandated CPNI Rules. (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/222.html)

Shame on them.

20. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i don't know what to say? VZW has not called me since that night i ported my number to ATT.

12yrs is a long time. I just never switched carriers and never thought I had to. When the iPhone was released I had this itching to just cancel my account with VZW to get the iPhone. At that time I heard horror stories about ATT service.

So I did try out the 1st gen iPhone for a 3 weeks without canceling my Verizon. Where I live the thing did not work well. EDGE was worse than dail-up. I drove my normal commute and talked on the cell. calls got dropped 3 times on my way into the city. bad! I drove to other states and experienced dropped calls and no EDGE service. The worst was going into the boonies with no cell service yet my Verizon had a few bars and even had a few bars of EV-DO! After roaming around my state calling various people and trying to use EDGE I said F it. I went back to ATT and returned the iPhone and cancelled the contract.

As the year went on friends of mine got the iPhone and claimed ATT service is getting better. I brushed it off.

Then around Feb of this year people I know in my hometown were telling me that ATT service is good, a new ATT store opened up near my house, more iPhones were seen around town. But it still did not interest me.

Finally on 7/11/08 i drove past the ATT store to see a huge line of people waiting for the store to open. I honestly had no clue what was going on. When I got to work i found out it was the release of the 3G iPhone. I was somewhat curious but blew it off.

Only this past August did I really gain an interest in the iPhone again. Because I learned that my hometown has 3G service and all surrounding towns had it as well. Every person I bumped into in town that had an iPhone I asked them how the service was, everyone said it works fine no problems. So that's when I got the bug for the 3G...

I am in a trial phase now and I am happy to report those same areas I was in last year with no service HAVE SERVICE today and have 3G as well. I've driven in the boonies and there is no 3G but there is E and I now get 2-3 bars. So obviously there have been changes. When I go further into the boon docks it switches to roaming it seems but at least there is service now. I still have my Verizon Moto Razr2 (and a company BB) and comparing the bars to the location are the same today (minus the boondocks where my VZW cells do not roam but the iPhone does). But I am surprised to see that the service is now equal (in the areas I frequent). I will be driving out of state tomorrow so I'm gonna see how the 3G does compared to my VZW phones.

i feel somewhat strange leaving VZW after 12yrs of service. They really have helped me out in the past when I had billing issues and rude customer service issues, they made things right, gave me various discounts in the past so... if they ever carry the iPhone (which I am told they will not in the next 5+yrs) i will go back to them.

OR by then ATT service might be better than VZW, who knows!

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's because they are not allowed to. FCC regs on wireless number portability prohibit a carrier from contacting you after the port occurs to try and "win" you back. Once you port, the business relationship is terminated. That's that. You've made the final decision.

Congrats! I too have had good 3G service with my iPhone, and it's good to see you're happy. Despite a lot of the haters here, I think AT&T will win you over.

As you're probably aware by now, of course Verizon is going to try and scare you into staying. They want your money. :) And if they have to embellish or even outright lie to keep you, they will certainly try.

22. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I have a refurb iphone that I bought in May. I haven't had any major problems with it except for the ATT service. Last night my husband bought a 3g iphone at apple and I can't seem to get the 3g service to work.
    I called up ATT and they said that we were not signed up for the data plan. So I signed him up. I still can't seem to get the 3g service and when it is hooked up to WIFI and i go to use safari it says it is not hooked up to the internet. thanks for listening to my rant. I guess a trip to ATT and then apple is in order.
    I can't even get his yahoo email pushed to the iphone, even with wifi. :mad:

So basically this phone is toast until it is fixed.

23. iMetalG5 thread starter macrumors 6502a

wow, i was able to set my iPhone up within the hour.

sounds like ATT didn't set up the account properly. But I am concerned about your WIFI and why the iPhone did not pick up your wireless network?

so far I am happy with ATT service. Everywhere I go I am comparing the bars (my company BB w/Verizon) and so far they are equal. At times ATT bars drop then all of a sudden they go to full. That's the only odd thing I have been noticing. 3G is always displayed on the screen except for when I go to the boonies. that's when things get different. I went into the basement of a building and the two show same amount of bars.

so i take it ATT is catching up to Verizon. Not sure if 3G is as good as EV-DO?

24. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

Imetal its all fixed now. the 3g and the yahoo mail. I called up apple after ATT said that all was well. We are now good to go for now. I will try the wifi when I get home tonight. :)