.me to .mac

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by nunes013, Jan 10, 2011.

1. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

If i have mobileme right now. if i activate a .mac account can i use both .mac and .me emails. i know going from .mac to .me you can but what about the opposite. ive searched and cant find anything.

2. foreignconcepts macrumors member

As far as I know, you should still have both available to you to use. Clearly, you signed up with the service before it was rebranded as MobileMe, or you wouldn't have the @mac.com email address available to you at all, just the @me.com one.

There are options to toggle between the two, I've seen them before if you go and log into www.me.com and go into your email preferences. I think it's in the same area of the preferences section that is where you can create email aliases. You should be able to change your default email address back to yourname@mac.com from yourname@me.com there.

3. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

sorry, i meant i dont have the .mac but i found someone who wants to sell one. i have mobile me. if i got .mac now could i use both. .mac just sounds more professional

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes.. if you have a @mac email address you can use either @mac or @me interchangeably.

5. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

thanks!!!

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

7. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

they have old .mac accounts nvr used and now selling. the only reason i want it is to interchange between .me and .mac emails because whenever i give my email out and say @me.com, people say @what. so i want to get something more professional sounding because im going to be applying for jobs soon.

8. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Are you talking about someone willing to sell to you some_username@mac.com address or an actual box that says .mac on it???

If it's the latter, you are not gonna get mac.com address no matter what the retail packaging says. Mac.com addresses have been discontinued. Me.com is all you can get.

9. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

That's correct.
    Although the OP could probably get away with not using the original @mac.com address and setting up an alias address.

I agree, there is no way you can now set up a new mac.com address.

10. foreignconcepts macrumors member

The @me.com domain has been around for 2.5 years now and has been highly promoted by Apple, I highly doubt any employer would look at the email and think that @me.com was some kind of plastic vanity domain.

That aside, I would not reccommend buying any type of .mac email address from anyone - unless you are buying an unopened box. Even then, when you go to set up the account right out of the box, it would automatically default to the @me.com email address.

11. nunes013 thread starter macrumors 65816

nunes013

it is an unopened box. and since i got different responses i called apple and the first person said they didnt know. so i called again and they didnt know lol. so i called Apple support and they said it wouldnt work unless i already had a .mac address so unless you had .mac sometime in the past you cannot get it again