ME865 or ME864 (13" MacBook Pro purchase questions )

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Cyraxtc, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Cyraxtc macrumors newbie

Hello folks, I am an amateur

I am going to buy a macbook this week. Now I am considering between:
    ME865: i5 2.4/8GB Ram/256GB SSD
    ME864: i5 2.4/4GB Ram/128GB SSD

I am studying marketing major so my needs are office (writing report, sheet and presentation, I do many presentations per week), PS (just make pictures for presentation), running IBM SPSS, web, and basic entertainment (music, movies,...). I don't play games. Btw, I must install Windows for my Mac is a must because my exam client software can only run in Windows. My all data in current latop is about 7GB (most of them are documents). I use google photo and flickr for my photos.

I intend to use this macbook for 2-3 years and my money is just enough for ME864. But I can manage for ME865 although it's gonna be tough, I will struggling for ME865.

My question is 4GB and 128GB SSD would be enough for my demands. Should I try for ME865 because of "future proof" or buy an MBA would be worth for me? xD. Please don't recommend a windows machine.

Thank you! (My apology if my English is not good enough)

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well if you need a windows partition and the apps you mentioned then clearly 128GB is not going to be enough and if you run windows as a VM then 4GB of RAM isn't enough.

3. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

Erdbeertorte

Just for more answers and less questions:

ME864+865 = 13-inch MacBook Pro (Retina) Late 2013 - slowest CPU option (i5-4258U)

;)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I updated the title, because I had no idea what the ME864 was and what it related too. Thanks for the clarification.

OP, I think overall given most storage needs and app needs, the 8GB/256GB 13" MBP model is the best bang for your money. You're potentially painting yourself into a corner with the lower end model. Why spend all that money and be hamstrung in the near future with lack of storage and/or ram neither of which you can really upgrade (ram is soldered and the storage is not readily available or easy to upgrade).

5. RedCroissant Suspended

I would go the other way and recommend the non-retina MBP. I love that machine and it's initially less expensive. It's also user upgradeable, repairable (if need be), and modifiable to be made more powerful than the 13" rMBP and also more powerful than the macbook. In fact, I think the non-retina is on sale now for $899 at Best Buy which makes it half the price (which will then allow for upgrading the RAM to 16GB and even the HDD to a SSD and still pay less than you would for the macbook).