Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomast0001

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2019
It wouldn't be for the machine to read, it would be for QA to trace defects and determine if its a one-off material problem or if the tooling is wearing out. Similar marks are the printing plate position marks or numbers on stamps and currency.

As you noted it's apparently done in the same end mill they used in the final pass. Using a code instead of text saves them a tool change or separate operation through say a laser engraver.
Ah! I see what you mean. That's also why I mentioned that they could represent a "cell" factory location. They could trace the part to the specific cell. Now that you mention it, I could see a pile of smaller CNC machines milling each slot cover (or bracket as I've discovered) individually, rather than having a sheet from which several are milled. The dot pattern could help them locate the specific machine in question and/or a lot number in some way.

However, that brings up something else. If they would want to identify anything it'd be the machine(s) used to mill the outer enclosure. I looked at mine but didn't see any kind of unique marker (dots or otherwise). That doesn't mean it isn't there -- could be under some of the additions to the enclosure -- but I didn't see anything on the visible areas.

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
However, that brings up something else. If they would want to identify anything it'd be the machine(s) used to mill the outer enclosure. I looked at mine but didn't see any kind of unique marker (dots or otherwise). That doesn't mean it isn't there -- could be under some of the additions to the enclosure -- but I didn't see anything on the visible areas.

Did you remember to wear your comic book bought X-ray vision glasses ? The Mac's chassis could be full of those invisible dots . Now , I'm getting worried .

download.jpeg

thomast0001

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2019
Maybe the dots are for machine vision automated inspections ?

Those dots would be a unique type of data matrix for this application , though .

[automerge]1580590781[/automerge]
Let's have several people here take pictures of the same type of card ( I/O card , 580X Card , etc . ) and see if those dot patterns are the same for each type of product . If they are , maybe machines are used for picking or assembly in some fashion . Maybe Apple's factory is more sophisticated than those official videos indicate .
Yeah. Now that we see those patterns are on the I/O card and graphics card, it'll be interesting to see if there are repetitions of the sequences. It seems crazy to have patterns on the slot covers for picking purposes, but you never know. :) For the I/O and graphics cards, however, I could see that. It'll be interesting when we finally have the answer to this. Again, it could be just someone having fun with the CNC machines. But even if it's just that, it's kind of cool! (It'd be an Easter egg in the new machines. Anyone remember the flag Easter egg in Mac OS 7? Or the Paula Abdul image in the ROMs? I miss those little additions!)

Snow Tiger

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2019
Yeah. Now that we see those patterns are on the I/O card and graphics card, it'll be interesting to see if there are repetitions of the sequences. It seems crazy to have patterns on the slot covers for picking purposes, but you never know. :) For the I/O and graphics cards, however, I could see that.

It would make sense if the machine is too dumb to figure it out without scanning for those dots .

Now imagine if there was a horrible scanning error at the factory and instead of getting a pair of Vega II Duos you spend cold hard cash on , you got four pretty PCIe brackets instead ? .

• Wow
Reactions: thomast0001

bxs

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2007
Seattle, WA
Some further speculations...
  • Maybe each dot matrix refers/identifies a person.
  • Maybe each dot matrix represents information for a recycling process.
  • Maybe each dot matrix allows for counting the number of specific slot covers manufactured.
  • Maybe each dot matrix allows the slot covers to be binned in the factory so assemblers can select them later.

thomast0001

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2019
Some further speculations...
  • Maybe each dot matrix refers/identifies a person.
  • Maybe each dot matrix represents information for a recycling process.
  • Maybe each dot matrix allows for counting the number of specific slot covers manufactured.
  • Maybe each dot matrix allows the slot covers to be binned in the factory so assemblers can select them later.

"Joe Bob, we've got another defective PCIe slot cover report from one of your runs. That's three in one month! We're bumping you over to boxing duty. Try not to mess that up!"

Reactions: Snow Tiger

avidhills

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2015
85252C43-CC5E-4E30-B28B-19CAF89E9AB1.jpeg
EEA89B82-B7C4-475C-8A44-52BAD6774B5F.jpeg

Here you go - from my 580X
This has been on my mind for ages.. hinking of posting to the Reddit group r/whatisthisthing

I fear it’s ultimately something really boring.

avidhills

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2015
Just had a thought. Could it be a way to check parts haven’t been swapped with or messed about, if Apple send a unit out and then it’s returned?
I just spotted another similar mark on a different part of the 580X card:
image.jpg

Reactions: quatermass

quatermass

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2009
Best thread of 2020 so far! I wonder how much data could be contained in a pattern of dots like that? How many possible combinations are there? Seems like it's pretty low density.
I wonder if it's for final assembly? Maybe there's a chart which has the parts denoted by the dot pattern, and where they go? But then you'd expect all machines to have components with similar dot patterns in the same place... which it's seems is not the case.
Baffling!
Side note: I'm making the case for the symbols to be called Cartouches, as in heiroglyphics.

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Braille? To assist all the blind techs at Geek Squad and the Genius Bar?

I imagine it is just a manufacturing QC marking.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I pulled a Mac Mini to bits yesterday and found similar dots underneath the hard drive bracket. Interpret however you like :)

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I guess it's just a solid hunk of aluminum then anodized it and then milled it a bit deeper to expose non anodized aluminium, it's not a paint.
It's milled for ground contact, since the anodized surface have very poor conductivity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.