Meaning of TRIM & UASP in Mac-speak?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by garycurtis, May 12, 2014.

1. garycurtis macrumors 6502

What do these technical terms mean?

And is there a Glossary of Apple terminology anywhere? Can't find through a Google search, nor in David Pogue's Missing Manual.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

3. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

I searched on Wikipedia, but probably got lost in the jargon. And I searched for these one at a time.

Wikipedia link for TRIM just came up blank. But I gather it some kind of management protocol for SSD's. If and when I get an ext SSD, is TRIM something I have to turn on or off? Or is it automatic?

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

The TRIM command manages which data is no longer in use on flash drives. It improves SSD performance and lifespan and is highly recommended.

TRIM support is disabled by default by Apple for all third-party hardware, so it needs to be enabled with a tool like Chameleon SSD Optimizer or Trim Enabler. I recommend, and personally use, Chameleon because it is free and you run it once, enable TRIM and forget about it.

You will only be able to enable TRIM commands with Thunderbolt enclosures. It is not supported via USB.

The proper link for the Wikipedia entry on the TRIM command is here. There are also good explanations of it here and here.

UASP is a USB protocol designed to improve file transfer speeds over the older BOT (Bulk-Only Transfer) drives.

I'm hoping the next major USB revision will add TRIM command support.

5. garycurtis thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow, I didn't know any of that. I just doubled the RAM in my iMac, so any TB peripheral drives will have to wait for a while. But when I do get the dock/SDdrive, I'll follow your link and enable TRIM.

Hope you live near a beach in Shikoku Island. Things are heating up here in California./

Thanks

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

You're never too far from the beach in Japan. :)

It's getting hot here too. I'm already looking forward to autumn.