Measure me this (iPad related)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BoredAtWork, Oct 25, 2012.

1. BoredAtWork macrumors newbie

What is the actual dimension and diagonal size of a 2048 x 1536 panel that is 326 dpi?

:) if you know these numbers, you know where they are from

2. poloponies, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012

poloponies Suspended

You're mixing units. "DPI" is a measure of printer dot density. Displays are measured in "PPI" - pixels per inch. Which obviously means a resolution of 326 dpi has 326 of them in every inch. One would presume you can do that math.

And is there a point to this? Other than doubling the mini's display density?

3. BoredAtWork thread starter macrumors newbie

the point is this is the next logical size for ipad mini size as it leverage existing mass produced panels (from iphone 4s,5) just cut different size.

4. Akash.B macrumors regular

326 ppi is really small, I can't imagine how they would do that. On the other hand, I wonder if they are using in cell technology on the touch panels for the Mini

5. BoredAtWork thread starter macrumors newbie

nevermind.

I just did the calculation. at 326 ppi,and 960x640 of my iphone 4s, it works out to be about 12.8 pixel/mm

if we scale 12.8 pixel/mm to 2048x1536 resolution, the screen will be approximately 120mm wide and 160mm in height. the diagonal size is exactly 200mm, which works out to be 7.87 inches. exactly same as current size.

There you have it. If the next ipad mini will use retina, it will be taken from the iphone 4s/5 panels. The LED backlight just need to be longer which can be easily done, but LCD panels and the technology is straight from iphone 4, 4s, and 5 screens.

Why is it important? This also indicates a retina ipad Mini will have in cell touch, taken directly from iphone 5 and ipod touches, as it will use the same panels.

Is it possible pricewise? yes it is. its same screen is put in ipod touch 6th gen for 229. But i suspect Apple do not have a low enough powered chip that can power 2048x1536 yet (A5/A6 too slow, and A5X/A6x consumes too much battery for mini size battery).