Measuring Bandwidth Use

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brijazz, Sep 30, 2010.

1. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

Does anyone know of any application that will allow me to see details on how my bandwidth is being used? For example, I'd like to be able to track how much data I use when streaming Netflix (via a wired connection to my AirPort Extreme), browsing the web (wirelessly), or making a Skype call.

Any advice is much appreciated!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

iStat shows you how much data is being uploaded/downloaded per second at the moment but it will also show much data you have uploaded/downloaded since you logged in

3. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

Thanks for the suggestion; I was hoping for something more detailed (ie measuring the usage by connection such as ethernet vs. AirPort)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iStat Pro/Menu does that, but it doesn't do that per application.

5. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

Maybe I should clarify my setup:

1) AirPort Extreme - wired by ethernet to PS3 (used for Netflix, gaming)
    2) AirPort Extreme - wireless to Macbook

iStat is great for showing what's going on with my MacBook, but what I would really like to see is how much data is travelling from the AEX router to the PS3, so I can accurately see how much data is being used for Netflix/online gaming/etc.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know if the AE will allow that, as the traffic goes through the AE and the AE does not give the user to look into the logs.
    A dedicated Linux server or even the better routers (b-sides Apple's) have some kind of logging information lookup system, I had one, it was one of the 2003/4 LinkSys models and it showed us our traffic, which was astonishing (the amount).

7. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

If the AE won't let anyone see what's passing through it, I guess I don't have any other options, right?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It seems that way, I looked into this matter a year ago when I went to purchase the AEBS and this was one of the negative aspects of it, although it was not that important for me, as I currently don't share my internet connection with flatmates, which was the situation when I had the LinkSys, which helped in that regard.

9. Username103 macrumors newbie

Try SurplusMeter
    http://www.skoobysoft.com/utilities/utilities.html :apple:

Edit: nvm didnt see you specify

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That application has to be installed on a Mac and does only meter the traffic coming in and out of the Mac, though not really useful for PS3s or other devices connected to the AEBS.

I had that application installed once, but iStat provides almost the same data till the next restart, though the monthly allowance thing might be nice if you have a throttled connection.

11. hasebe macrumors newbie

If you're comfortable with the terminal try iftop, http://freshmeat.net/projects/iftop. It provides monitoring on specified interfaces and also shows detailed stats per host/IP address as well.

You can install it easily using http://macports.org.