Mechanical Noise when MBP Turns On

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ender land, Jan 16, 2011.

1. ender land macrumors 6502a

My late 2010 13" MBP makes a mechanical noise when turning on - right before the apple "on" sound.

Is this normal? What causes it? I am not sure since this is the first mac I've ever really owned. It makes sense to me it would have some sort of component noise when turning on but considering how loud it is I figure I might as well ask.

thanks!

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It's most likely the optical drive, which is normal.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Most likely it's the optical drive. It's standard for Apple-fitted slot loading drives. Nothing to worry about at all.

4. ender land thread starter macrumors 6502a

hm. That's kinda what I figured.

Probably not really any way to stop that from happening...

An excuse to get a SSD drive?!

:)

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well, it's not the hard drive, so an SSD wouldn't do anything about that, unless you mean replacing the optical drive with the HDD and then adding a SSD.

Otherwise, there isn't a way to do that.

6. ajdb9 macrumors member

Understanding it's normal, is there any way to disable it at least some of the time? Any safe code, or an app?

It's quite noisy and does it on my mid-2008 MBP 2.4 everytime it turns on or wakes.

Sometimes it just does it randomly too, for no apparent reason (i.e. no disc in there, no disc-utilising app open, no waking/turning on taking place etc!)

7. ender land thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well right, I guess I meant replacing the optical drive with an SSD :)

Though I then would have to get an external DVD drive and live with not being able to easily watch DVDs or listen to CDs... decisions, decisions!

8. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Nope as the sound is part of the super drives initiation procedure when you boot.

9. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

im pretty sure you cant disable it with any software. im not aware of any that could stop it. its a firmware thing.

10. ender land thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure I'd want to anyways - you'd be in for a world of frustration trying to fix your OS if you corrupted it somehow, and not being able to boot from the DVD drive would REALLY be annoying :)

11. peterja macrumors regular

peterja

Pretty annoying sound, Apples sound designers didn't do a great job on that :)

12. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Interesting. Mine used to do that, but apple released an update (I think SMC, maybe EFI) that limited it to just the startup.

13. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

there was a efi when waking from sleep but not from being off.

EDIT: heres the link

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL975

14. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

A firmware updated was released a while ago and it stopped the sound from going on when the computer woke up from sleep - so get that.

15. thunderboltspro macrumors regular

stop nit picking.

You all are nit picking on some little thing in the hardware, im guessing its suppose to occur to know the drive is functioning. I could see it as a big deal if it occurred constantly it could become annoying but it doesn't so why bother.

16. ender land thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nah, I was just curious about the sound.

It does occur each time I turn my MBP on though (or switch from Windows to OS:X using Bootcamp), so it kinda happens constantly :cool:

17. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Yea I was confused at first as well, but it is just the optical drive. ignore and enjoy.

18. skiltrip macrumors 68030

When I first got my 2010 MBP, it concerned me. Then I learned what it was, and concern became annoyed. Now I don't even hear it anymore. I mean, I hear it but it doesn't register in any way. You get used to it. Don't sweat it.

19. azazel- macrumors regular

azazel-

Every slot-load optical drive I've ever owned, computer or otherwise, has made that power-cycle whirring when started. It's nothing to worry about.

20. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Be happy that your MBP just does it when you turn it on. My old MacBook used to do it (and still does) each time you turn it on, and wake it from sleep. My MacBook Pro just does it when I turn it on.

21. MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

An interesting article and video of resetting the Mid 2009 MBP Optical Drive:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2839

I suspect the drive will still make a noise, but one rather than multiple. Anybody experienced this?