Mechanics of AT&T Tethering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flynz4, Jun 5, 2010.

1. flynz4 macrumors 68040

With the new AT&T tethering option coming soon... how exactly is the tethering accomplished?

I assume that it will support USB and/or bluetooth tethering to a single computer. Does it also support WiFi tethering (ie: WiFi hotspot)? Can two computers be tethered simultaneously via WiFi or Bluetooth?

Please do not let this thread degenerate in a cost debate, a jailbreaking debate, a bandwidth debate, or ATT is evil debate. I simply would like to know the mechanics of using tethering on the new ATT tethering plan.

Thanks in advance.

/Jim

2. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

I assume that tethering will still work somewhat like it was going to/does work on the 3gs in other countries.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/iphone-3gs/tethering.html

Probably only a single computer at a time.

USB & Bluetooth...

Now I don't know what keeps people from making an ad hoc network on their laptop that is tethering, and then sharing that :) (messy, but possible?)

No Wi-Fi hotspot....

Now this is all true for the 3GS & OS3, the new iPhone & OS4 might revamp how that system works.

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

well since you cant even do that option as of yet how can we answer you?

now with that said, I currently use the mywi app and I can have more than one computer using the wifi at one time. so I am guessing that when you broadcast a signal from your iPhone regardless of the service you should be able to use more than one device at a time. now the more computers you have using the same signal I am guessing this will slow them all down!

4. flynz4 thread starter macrumors 68040

Perfect, Thank you for the link. This is exactly what I was looking for. It would better if I could share the connection, but I will survive even without this capability.

/Jim

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can share the connection. You connect the iPhone to a computer then use the computer to share the connection.

The downside is AT&T track your data usage and you get billed for it. If you jailbreak then you don't get charged and have the added advantage of having a mobile hotspot for ANY device to connect to.

6. flynz4 thread starter macrumors 68040

Yes, I understand how to share an internet connection from the connected laptop. As the previous poster mentioned, it is possible but messy. I'll do it during the rare case I have a significant need.

I really have no interest in JB'ing my phone. It is a business tool, not a hobby. I value stability a lot more than individual features... or over minor cost savings.

/Jim

7. pmbooks macrumors regular

pmbooks

Hope no one minds my bumping this, but I have an interest in tethering two laptops (rather than paying for tethering services, main phone and wife's on family plan). Since personal hotspot will not be available to us (3GS), I'd like to learn "how to share an internet connection from the connected laptop."

Thanks for some guidance here.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You could try bluetooth.

9. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I grin sadly at all this tethering talk as I look over at my iPhone with ONE QUARTER of a bar signal. That's in my office where I sit 9 hours a day. Work is the place where I'd get the most use out of the feature, but it's ain't gonna happen..