Media Browser not showing iTunes Library in most OS X apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by SWD, May 3, 2011.

1. SWD macrumors member

I've posted this in several other forums with few replies. Hopefully this great people of this forum can help me out. Just today I discovered that in a few 3rd party apps (namely Audacity) the media browser works perfectly.

The media browser, which is a system-wide open dialogue feature in OSX has been failing to show the iTunes library in my main (but not admin) account. It shows photos and movies just fine, but nothing from iTunes. Garageband files yes, but iTunes library nope. For example if I wanted to add music to a slideshow I can pull down to iTunes but nothing is there. Same if I wanted to attach an .mp3 to an email, or add music to a movie. Same thing happens in Chrome, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, etc. Interesting, it is unique to this user account. I've tried it in another user account that has an iTunes library and it worked just fine. Any idea on how to fix this? I'm guessing there's a preference somewhere I could delete that could rebuild it. I don't want to trash any iTunes library files as I have spent years building playlists, metadata, stats, etc. Thanks for your help.

I'm using the latest versions of OSX, Safari/Chrome, iTunes, the iLife '11 suite, and the iWork suite.

2. SWD thread starter macrumors member

Anybody, anybody? Damn. Can anybody at least point me to another place to look for answers? thanks.

3. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

A few steps

Have a look here http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1451 it gives a few pointers on troubleshooting iTunes including instructions how to rebuild library. I had a similar issue with iTunes 9, when I could not add music to slideshows. Did a library rebuild and all worked well. Just as a first step, have you checked in Disk Utility for disk errors and rebuilt file permissions recently?

Wilson

4. SWD thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

I do somewhat regularly run maintenance in Disk Utility. I'm assuming you meant "Verify Disk" and "Repair Disk Permissions." Ran them both again anyways.

I have one more question before I attempt this fix. Will trashing those files kill meta-data? It seems like it will playlists, but one can get that back. What about play counts, album art, genre tags, etc? I've added a lot of data in the "get into" pane and would hate to see that all gone.

5. wilsonlaidlaw macrumors 6502

wilsonlaidlaw

Metadata?

Not sure about that. I don't use these facilities much as 95% of my music is classical, which I really only need to list by album. I would assume the worst.

6. SWD thread starter macrumors member

That's great. Kinda funny, I'm actually a trained musician.