Media Center for OS X that accesses Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by makowb, Jul 2, 2008.

1. makowb macrumors member

Hi, I currently don't have a Mac but I will be purchasing a Macbook pro in the future. I would like to know if Front Row or any other Media Extender software for OS X will be able to access files on a Windows Home Server or Vista Ultimate set up. I have the option for both and would also like to know if anyone has any opinions on either. I'm not going to buy a new PC or Server, I'm just going to install the software and configure it on my old PC that I currently use. I'm gonna set it up, plug it in, and throw it in my closet. It won't even have a monitor attached to it, I'll just remotely access it. Also, will Time machine be able to work with this at all? Just curious.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You might be best just letting it be a file server, and have iTunes link to the movies/music/whatever is on there across the network instead of that windows media center thing.
    Using this method, you could just let it run XP, if that is what is on it now, and not have to worry about the OS slowing down your access times.

3. makowb thread starter macrumors member

You think XP pro is fine for just being a file server? To my knowledge it doesn't have the advanced indexing capability of Windows Home Server (which is essentially Server 2003 with an extra usability layer added.) If I can just link to the folders and not have to update them whenever a change is made (ie, add a new song or movie) and use front frow that way, that would be fine, but would they still be able to stream just as well this way then by not using media center?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Since I don't actually have anything like this set up at my house, I'll have to wait for someone who does to chime in on the details. But, it should be kinda similar to using a shortcut to tell the mac the music is on the server.

As far as the streaming speed, that will depend on a number of factors. If you are downloading a lot of stuff, doing heavy gaming across the network, or trying to stream HD video. Normal music and video should be able to stream just fine across a wireless network.

5. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

If you install iTunes on the server or vista and turn on sharing, then you would be able to access the media through front row on the mac.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's a good idea too, and it might be the easiest way to do it.

7. makowb thread starter macrumors member

I wasn't aware it was that simple, I probably will just keep XP Pro on it then so that I can use it as a TV recorder too.

8. makowb thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah, I totally forgot, iTunes won't be able to play the majority of my media as right now it's divx/xvid encoded. Is there anyway other than converthing everything to play them fairly easily?

9. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Simply installing the appropriate codecs in quicktime should work.