Media Center questions

Discussion in 'iMac' started by imac/cheese, Jul 31, 2007.

1. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I would like to eliminate my home office and replace my desktop with a media center type computer. I still need to be able to surf the internet, balance our budget, use the occasional office program etc. I was wondering if many people out there use a living room media center type system as their everday computer. How much of a pain is it to use word or excel from the couch? How far can you sit from a 30"-32" monitor and still use it? Any advice would be great.

2. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

It depends on your resolution setting. At any of the 1280 settings I need to be about 1x times the diameter of the screen away to work in excel without strain. So with your size I would say 3 feet. If you lower the resolution you can do a little better.

I do love to surf the web from my couch and you can step back to almost 2x the diameter for that. I have a 50" and I can go about 6-8 feet from it without having to squint to read.

As for excel, I prefer a laptop. An ibook g3 will run office great for $200.

3. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

Danrose1977

I find it a strain from the coach on my 32" TV (res is 1360x768).

With the new iMacs I intend to run Apple TV on my TV for the media type stuff, and have a new iMac in the office. Personally mixing work and pleasure isn't doing it for me... need to seperate them out!!!

4. neven macrumors 6502a

We've been using a PowerMac connected to an HDTV for a few months, and the biggest drawback has been the ergonomics of it. Any way you arrange it, you'll be looking at the screen in an odd way (slightly up, most likely). My girlfriend (who used the setup more than I did) had persistent neck and shoulder pain.

We hooked up an AppleTV to the HDTV and got a monitor. Much easier on the eyes and neck.

5. diehardmacfan macrumors regular

get a macbookpro and apple TV.

use the macbook on the couch for internet and word and excel. then all your media on the macbookpro will be viewable on the TV via the apple TV. If you really want to do web browsing and email on your TV, then you could run a video cable from the output of the macbookpro using one of apples adapters to the TV

another option would be to keep that cable connected at all times and just use front row for multimedia

6. imac/cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have considered getting a laptop but I really don't have the need for the portability and I enjoy using the full size keyboard and mouse.

Does anyone know how resolution independence will work? Will I be able to keep a high resolution and make excel appear much larger so I can sit 5-10 feet from my monitor and still see what is on the screen?

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It is not very easy to use your media center as your main computer. Text is very small from far away, and if you're not using an HD tv with a DVI connection then the text is virtually un-readable. And trying to sit at your coffee table and use your keyboard and mouse is pretty unbearable after a minute or two. I really recommend against doing this.

I bought a used Mini G4 ($400) as my media center and it works beautifully!!! I would invest in one of these and get yourself another computer as a day-to-day machine. Macbook perhaps?

8. imac/cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do plan on using a computer monitor as the screen versus a TV. We do not watch television so we do not need a TV tuner. I simply want to be able to watch DVDs and pump iTunes through our home stereo system.

The MacBook and mini combo is an option that I am considering, it would just be a lot easier to have one computer.

I appreciate everyone's advice on this subject.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

For just one computer the Macbook is the option that would be best. You can use an external monitor no problem and it is a more upgradeable system. You can use an external keyboard and mouse to (which is what I do) and portability if the issue ever comes up.

You'll be able to hook your iTunes to the stereo and use FrontRow as well as normally as you would with a Mini.

10. imac/cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is for my living room and I am not sure if I want a laptop sitting next to my entertainment center. Can you operate the MacBook with it closed?

11. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah either that, or turn the brightness to zero.

13. diehardmacfan macrumors regular

if your gonna use macbook without using the screen, then why not get a mini. just hook the mini up to your monitor and use a bluetooth keyboard and mouse....it will save u tons of money

14. imac/cheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was my original plan, but I also need to use the computer for various office tasks and I was trying to see what my best options would be. If anyone here has a living room setup that they effectively use for both office tasks and as a media center I would love to see it.

I really don't want to be uncomfortable while doing ofice tasks.