Media Center what to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by phas3, Apr 23, 2010.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

hey guys, I'm in a bind here, I can't make up my mind and do not know which route to go.

I have a lot of HD content, movies, tv shows, mini series etc..I recently moved to a new apartment and got myself a new 46" inch Samsung LED. I've been using ps3 media server to stream my files through the ps3. But my laptop is quickly running out of space and I figured there might be a better way to watch my files on the HDTV without having to use my laptop as I use it for other things.

I would like some advice on what route I should go for? I've read some info on apple tv, or mac mini using plex? How about using an external hard drive?

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

This is gonna be a personal preference issue for you, as well as a cost issue.

External HDD, cheapest way to go, but unless your PS3 can read from it, then you will have to still use your laptop to serve the video up to the PS3.

AppleTV, second cheapest way to go, but with limited HDD space generally, and still often I use my main Mac to serve up my content rather than moving it all over to AppleTV. Hacked AppleTVs have more flexibility, but that again depends on you and your comfort level with hacking it, and taking a chance on bricking a new AppleTV.

Mac Mini - most expensive of the 3 options you gave, but most versatile as far as Format frindly, Ability to expand with a USB Hub, and External HDD(s), Option for Plex, Front Row, Boxee, and several other 'Home Theatre' packaged apps.

Best,

Brian

3. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the advice...i don't know if i can stomach a mac mini purchase

4. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

upgrade the HD in your PS3, it's the cheapest option you've got and since last week or so, the biggest 2.5' on the market is now 750Gb, i've got a 500Gb in my ps3, the swap is easy, just back up your original HD then install the new one and restore from the back up ;) it'll take a few hours depending on how much data you have but oh and make sure the new HD is 5400Rpm, ps3 dont like faster ;)

5. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

my only problem with the ps3 is that i have to convert my mkv files most of my files are mkv :(

6. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

ahhh blast, yeah i have that same issue :(

7. hoverX macrumors member

Do you do this over Wi-Fi or ethernet cable? I was thinking about this setup but i'm worried about lag over my network.

8. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

i;m doing this right now through my ps3, I use ps3 media server and connect my laptop wirelessly to the ps3. I play 720p files through the network and I don't have any lag, although 1080p seems to be choppy but I think it might be becasue of my processor power