Media centre advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by riotstar42, May 13, 2009.

1. riotstar42 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I'd like a bit of advice, i have about £3000 to spend to equip myself with a new tv, laptop and possibly games console.
    What I want is to have a system that will all work reasonably well together to enable me to watch blu-ray, itunes content and possibly other types of media. I'm not hugely tech savy but willing to learn. My current plan includes one of the new samsung LED tvs (i really like the picture quality), either a high spec macbook or MBP and a PS3 so that I can play blu rays and I like to game a bit too.
    I need a laptop as I travel quite a lot and like to watch tv shows and movies whilst i do so, and i'm finding my iphone inadequate for this task.
    Does anyone have any better ideas though?
    thanks

2. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

thats a really complicated one.

laptop- the 2.0 ghz macbook should be ok but u might want to upgrade the hdd

games- ps3 for sure. you need to have blu ray and games so yeah

itunes stuff- this is a tough one. if you want to get a mac mini, then go ahead. I think you should either use the Macbook or use the ps3 and vuze to stream music and videos to it.

tv- do you need a led. if you do then ok but most people would be good with a nice 120hz tv. i will admit that the led's are amazing.

good luck with your setup. hope it works out for you:apple:

3. lucamacis macrumors member

I agree with 007Bond except for the upgrading the HD part. I would go for an external 1TB Hard drive that always stays at home. If you are on the move a lot then you transfer movies, tv shows that you want to watch to your MacBook hd temporarily. It ensures that all your data is safe at home. Last thing you want is your MacBook stolen and you loose all your media.

Ultimate set up would be going for a low end Mac Mini with external HD and low end MacBook. Best of both worlds. You can go on the MacBook whilst watching media on your tv from the Mac Mini. If you can fit that into your budget then go for that.

4. Bonte macrumors 6502a

Bonte

The PS3 is also a OK mediaplayer and with some shareware the media can be streamed or copied from the Mac or add another usb HD. Not a super media device but good enough, its multi-use made me prefer the PS3 over the Mini that the kids now have to play with.