Media Centre Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dan14, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Dan14 macrumors regular

Hi All,

I want to achieve something and I'm not too sure the best way to go about it.

I have a PS3 hooked up to my TV with a BTHomehub with a buffalo external hdd attached via USB to the hub but its not fantastic and doesn't always work.

I want to achieve a central hard drive or storage device which is always on to then push media locally stored on that drive to my tv either via cable or through my PS3 and to my iPad and also act as a backup to store my movies/music and files.

Is my best option a small media pc or a nas? Or perhaps Apple TV?

Anyone with any experience in the best set up to achieve this would be great, thank you.

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have a NAS which houses all my videos.

Connected to my TV is tiny nettop running XBMC. This plays everything from the NAS. (Prior to using XBMC, I had an Asus O! Play that worked fine but I upgraded to XBMC for its eye candy.)

On one of my computers, I run AirVideo. This allows my iPad and iPhones to view all the videos on the NAS as well. (There is a script that installs AirVideo Server on to my NAS, but I haven't tried it yet.)

I also have a SlingBox on the network. This allows all the computers, iPads, and iPhones to watch live TV if/when I want to.

3. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers