Media Closet

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by wicked23, Feb 6, 2014.

1. wicked23 macrumors member

I am building a home and installing a central media closet for my Mac Mini and other home theater and network devices. We are thinking of having a multi-zone speaker setup. I know Sonos is popular, but are there any other mac friend devices or software that I should consider. I am imaging a central media system based on my mini that can be controlled by my iphone and ipad. Just trying to come up with any ideas regarding software, receivers, amps, google chrome, apple tv, etc. I currently house our media on an external hard drive and utilize Plex.

2. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

I've got 3 sets of ceiling speakers in the common areas of the house that are fed buy a stereo amplifier linked to an airport express. It provides a whole-house single zone for regular background music. Then for a multi zone capability, all the main rooms and bedrooms have a HT setup served by an Apple TV for music/movie streaming.

Media is on a headless Mac mini serving the home iTunes library that's controlled by iPads, iPhones, or from the Apple TVs.

My "closet", a homemade rack in the basement storage room that swings open for cable management.

image.jpg