Media Drives from my Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Michael73, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Michael73 macrumors 65816

I'm getting ready to replace my 5 year-old MacPro with the new one. The problem is the new one has no space for additional internal drives. Two of my current internal drives are dedicated to media...movies and music. so here are my questions...

If I get a simple multi-drive enclosure and attach it to my Time Capsule those drives will be seen as network drives, correct?

I have both old (the 160GB version) and new AppleTVs. Can the AppleTVs be set up to "see" the media on both drives meaning the AppleTVs can stream music and movies from them? That's the goal.

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. Michael73 thread starter macrumors 65816

Networking isn't my forte. I'd assumed that getting a two-drive enclosure and hardwiring it to my Time Capsule via LAN cable created network attached storage. :confused:

So a NAS can be seen by :apple:TVs?

4. priitv8 macrumors 68020

That's been discussed here extensively.
    Short answer: not natively.
    There are apps (XBMC, Boxee), that can do this.
    And there are NAS-es that can do AirPlay, but AFAIK you need to initiate the streaming from NAS side (web-admin interface).
    Then there are apps that take over both sides (server+client), a-la Plex.
    :apple:TV itself is only able to browse iTunes.

5. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Why don't you just get a multi-bay USB enclosure and hook it to your Mac Pro. Then just use iTunes as you always have. Only difference is that now the drives are external rather than internal....