Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's "One more thing" Media Event took place today with much anticipation. The event saw the release of new Video-capable iPods, and a new iMac.

A few notes on the event itself... It took place at the California Theater in San Jose, CA. Apple has always been very secretive about their media events. Whether by design or by coincidence, the location for today's event prevented wireless or even cell phone usage thwarting many sites attempts at reporting on the event. The event was also fed to the BBC Television Center by satellite. This location had less stringent measures in place. Much of the information gathered during the event has to be credited to MacNews.de and Stuff Magazine, both reporting from this location.

Early rumors by Appleinsider turned out to be the most accurate. The Video enabled iPod introduced today was very similar to their initial report. Also accurately reported was the introduction of music videos and short movie content through an iTunes update.

Of interest, in the same report, Appleinsider reported that a new Apple wireless device was in the wings... similar to Apple's AirPort Express but with Video-Out capability. Such a device was not introduced today, but may be in our future based on this report.

Meanwhile, ThinkSecret initially discounted the possibility of a Video iPod. They later amended their report at the last minute to include that possibility. Meanwhile, a final report this morning suggested that while Apple's launch today focused on broadcast video, Apple's future plans do include a proper "Movie Store" with a corresponding Widescreen iPod to be introduced in 2006.

But what of the promised Powerbook and PowerMac updates? ThinkSecret still promises these updates "either later this week or early next". While this may not instill us with a great deal of confidence, there have been independent reports that Dual-Core PowerMacs are imminent.

A few interesting notes from the day's events

- The new iPod appears to have the same Height/Width as the old iPods (4.1 x 2.4 inches), despite their wider appearance.
- Apple's FrontRow media interface is only available on the iMac, but appears to be Apple's first step into the Media Center-like devices/interfaces. This is an area that Microsoft has been aggressively pursuing. Historically, Steve Jobs has been against convergence between TV and computers... however, the introduction of TV downloads may change this perspective. Steve Jobs also has made comments against Video playback devices. At present the FrontRow interface is meant to be viewed on the iMac and not through a television.
- Eminem is featured in a silhouette iPod/iTunes ad. His publisher previously sued Apple for using a song without permission.
- U2 iPod appears to be discontinued.
- Only 5 different TV Shows available at this time. Digital Rights Management is the same as iTunes songs. 5 different computers. Downloaded episodes are .m4v format, 320x240 pixels, AAC Audio. 650kbits/sec. About 200 megs per hour-long episode.

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
dontmatter said:
5 TV shows! no wonder they didn't make this thing about the video feature.
It's just another added "feature" to keep the sales (and re-sales) up on the iPod.

FOR NOW!!! :D

adrian-cg

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2005
New Pro Macs

Please.. new pro macs next week. If I didn't need portability I'd already be all over that new iMac.

Here's hoping for new PB's and PM's.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
dontmatter said:

The way Steve worded video when capping up the new iPod is how Apple feels about video on an iPod.

it's an "and"

To Apple the iPod is still first and foremost a music player.

I like this.

The video to me is a bonus, I like the smaller size and the nicer looking clickwheel... and the black...

:)

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Its a real shame the proline still ahsnt been updated, it seems like apple are aiming big time at increasing market share and making products to encourage the switch rather than what the real Hardcore Apple users want,

Dissapointing event,

Shadow

splacid

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2004
Macrumors said:
- Eminem is featured in a silhouette iPod/iTunes ad. His publisher previously sued Apple for using a song without permission.

Anyone find it interesting that Apple initially posted the iTunes + iPod TV ad featuring Eminem for download earlier today and then pulled it, removing all links to it from their website? Continuing issues with Eminem's legal team maybe?

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
iTunes 6 my donkey! iTunes 5.0.2. The only thing "new" is that they fixed the full-screen bug and added "Videos" to the pane. A thing that was very well handled through smart-playlists by the way.

And who would have thunk that I should also have cancelled my iMac along with my iPod? *sigh*

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
This event was the wrong place for PowerBook and PowerMac updates. This was purely a consumer event, not a Pro event.

Pro updates will probably be announced in due course.

Object-X

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2004
What they didn't include

Areas for improvement.

Wireless streaming of video to HDTV. This is a must, the Frontrow software is made for this, not the iMac.

Add movie rentals to iTunes. I want to download movies and watch them when I want to. Eliminate the lag with rental servies like Netflix and Blockbuster.

Add all this software to other Macs, or at least let the rest of us purchase it.

Turn the remote control into a Shuffle.

it's funny, I thought I'd figured everything out, what apple needed to update, etc. and so about what we'd be getting, and of course, what I hoped for, also.

But I was totally wrong.

that's not funny, that's normal. The funny thing is, now I see exactly why apple did everything how they did, they're extremely smart. I'm too lazy to give the details, but the video capable but not designed FOR video ipod makes a lot of sense, the theory here of evolutionary rather than revolutionary change makes great sense, updating the popular and iconic imac with nice but not revolutionary changes in performance and again, quite cool and evolutionary, for sure, but not revolutionary new features, is smart, smart buisness. Using a media event and one placed and designed to maximize hype for this stuff makes sense, too. You don't need to hype the revolutionary, that creates it's own hype. You don't want to hype the boring, that just makes you look stupid. And you don't want to hype the pro line, because the pro's are already going to get the information without media coverage, they're far more critical of updates (IE, will call you out on it not being revolutionary), and also, just don't sell as well.

Powermac's and PB's need updates, for SURE, and hopefully those are coming as think secret says they are, but they don't need a media event.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
dontmatter said:

But Have you noticed how slow iTunes is running right now???? Obviously people aren't to concerned w/ only 5 shows being available right now, and people seem to be downloading them at a good but very slowwwwww pace.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Stella said:
This event was the wrong place for PowerBook and PowerMac updates. This was purely a consumer event, not a Pro event.

Pro updates will probably be announced in due course.

I agree and on the positive side, the iMac got a pretty hefty update considering the Intel transition is a year or less away.

I mean a re-designed housing, new high-speed system bus, PCI-Express bus support, ATI X600 graphics, built-in isite, remote, etc. That's quite a commited update for a possible short life product.

Maybe there is hope for a significant PB & PM boost after all. :D

deanwaterman

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2005
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 Shows Now...

dontmatter said:

5 shows now, but I bet by the end of the month we have 20-25 from Disney / ABC alone. The others networks will see that this is another way to make $$$ and they will soon add their hits to the mix.

Remember what iTunes did for music?

Think of what it could do for Television.

However, I am disappointed in the resolution of the dowloads. They will only be of videotape quality on the TV. But my sadness is a high point for the networks. They can make money on both the downloads and DVD sales. I see Apple working towards a computer/TV merger and I think this is one step closer.

One other thing. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the new Powerbooks come out with Front Row and a remote. Same for the mini down the line. But imagine setting your PB up near the TV and having everything on your tube (or plasma)? That would be awesome!

splacid

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2004
mcmillan said:
Very weird that the Eminem ad was removed. Does anyone has a mirror?

If anyone downloaded it for the brief time it was online, please provide a mirror, I'd love to see it in better quality than what I got during the keynote stream.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Everyone should check out Steve's presentation. The stream is posted on Apple.com.

When I checked out some of the announced items here and at apple.com it just didn't have the same impact of actually watching/listening to Steve show it off. The man is good...... :p

I especially liked the part where Steve looks into his iSight and says something like *when you want to look like god* ... that really cracked me up :D

During the stream they show the eminem commercial. The quality of the stream I am getting is really, really good.

abhishake

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2005
deanwaterman said:
5 shows now, but I bet by the end of the month we have 20-25 from Disney / ABC alone. The others networks will see that this is another way to make $$$ and they will soon add their hits to the mix.

They will also realize that they can hit a much bigger audience by doing so. I like the new iPod, just hope that it isn't too wide. The iMacs are amazing. Front row is brilliant and they made it thinner.. Def. buying one of those.. Ordered a black 30GB Video and soon to be ordering a white 30GB Video. lol.

Hopefully they will expand front row to be used in all macs. But i thought the remote control was bluetooth? During his presentation, he had to point the remote at the screen for it to work properly.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
swingerofbirch said:
i download bit torrent tv shows that are about 170 mbs, and to me look like high definition??? i believe they end in .avi...why are the mp4 files so big?

those shows you download are 20 minutes long. the shows at apple are 40 minutes long and 180mb.. that's the difference.

i'll have to download one video first and see. it'd be nice to just pick up an episode a week (would save having to splash out on a box set at the end of the series). depends on the quality i guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.